Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Transitioning to Dog Food #5

#1 - Ol' Roy (previous owners)

#2 - Science Diet (before I knew better)

#3 - Innova (LETHAL gas)

#4 - California Natural (Owen is trying to chew his feet off)

#5 - Taste of the Wild (let's see how this goes)

Re: Transitioning to Dog Food #5

• good luck!
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • We hope that it goes well!
  • image LuvMyFurbaby:

#1 - Ol' Roy (previous owners)

#2 - Science Diet (before I knew better)

#3 - Innova (LETHAL gas)

#4 - California Natural (Owen is trying to chew his feet off)

#5 - Taste of the Wild (let's see how this goes)

Just curious, but did you try different proteins in the same brands?  That might give you an idea whether the problem is the protein or a grain.

• image TheBridesMom:

Just curious, but did you try different proteins in the same brands?  That might give you an idea whether the problem is the protein or a grain.

Innova only has large bites and small bites (and their EVO line).

We tried chicken and rice, lamb and rice, and herring and sweet potato in the CA Natural brand.

We're starting with the Prairie variety of TOTW.

• EVO does have a red meat version and chicken/turkey (and maybe herring?) version, but that may not have helped.
  • we didn't actually try the EVO line -- I figured if the regular version gave him gas, the EVO would, too.
  • image LuvMyFurbaby:
    we didn't actually try the EVO line -- I figured if the regular version gave him gas, the EVO would, too.

The regular Innova gave Buster gas, but EVO was the best food we ever had him on.  There weren't other grain free foods available when we started him on it, and the change in him in less than two weeks was amazing.  No more gas, even nicer coat, brighter eyes (no eye goobers), better energy level and no more scooting.

I would have tried some of the other grain free foods, but he was doing so well, that I didn't see the point.  He loved his food, so we left things as they were and didn't confuse things, (he was confused enough as it was).

• image TheBridesMom:

image LuvMyFurbaby:
    we didn't actually try the EVO line -- I figured if the regular version gave him gas, the EVO would, too.

The regular Innova gave Buster gas, but EVO was the best food we ever had him on.  There weren't other grain free foods available when we started him on it, and the change in him in less than two weeks was amazing.  No more gas, even nicer coat, brighter eyes (no eye goobers), better energy level and no more scooting.

I would have tried some of the other grain free foods, but he was doing so well, that I didn't see the point.  He loved his food, so we left things as they were and didn't confuse things, (he was confused enough as it was).

Thanks for letting me know. If TOTW doesn't work out, we'll include that in our list of other foods to try (which includes Merrick, and Wellness CORE)

• We have Brooke on TOTW High Prairie, and we really like it!

She is pretty gassy, but she always has been (especially when she gets raw venison or when DH makes venison jerky...phew!), even more so when she was on Wellness. 

GL!

ETA: my brain isn't working--Brooke was more gassy on Wellness than TOTW...maybe that sentence made sense, idk. 

image image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Rocky is on TOTW Prairie and he loves it (although he eats anything). We are just thrilled to find a food that put a bit of weight on him.
  • image jason/rockygirl:
    Rocky is on TOTW Prairie and he loves it (although he eats anything). We are just thrilled to find a food that put a bit of weight on him.

I need something that will take weight OFF of Owen! He's a bit pudgy.

• Just going to suggest Fromm as well....Hugo was gassy on every other type of food we put him on. Fromm has been great and his coat hasn't been better. (He was on Science diet, then Wellness, then Solid Gold...now Fromm) We feed him Fromm 4 star varieties. They also have a grain free option as well. good luck!
    image Our Happy Family: Hugo, Reese, and Wylie
  • image LuvMyFurbaby:

image jason/rockygirl:
    Rocky is on TOTW Prairie and he loves it (although he eats anything). We are just thrilled to find a food that put a bit of weight on him.

I need something that will take weight OFF of Owen! He's a bit pudgy.

We feed Rocky a bit more than recommended to acheive this (although we have done that on every food). Crazy, active lab!