Pets

Help! My dog got stung by a bee!

My dog just got stung by a bee and his eye/face is swollen now. A bee lady came by earlier today and sprayed a nest that was nearby. If he ate the bee (which he might have) should we be worried? Is there anything we can give him in case he's hurting?

Re: Help! My dog got stung by a bee!

• You can give him benedryl (1-2mg/pound) to reduce the swelling.  You can also give him 1 baby aspirin per 15 pounds, but make sure it's baby aspirin, not tylenol, advil, etc. Keep an eye on him though - if it doesn't improve, I'd go to the e-vet.
    Love.
  • You need to call a vet. Do you have an emergency vet in your area? Or an emergency number for your vet? Bee stings can cause a serious allergic reaction, just like in humans.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Benadryl? That usually helps with allergies. I'm not sure the dosage though, I *think* it's one mg per pound, but I may be way off (sorry, I've had a few beers!).

image Oops, I got into Dad's hair goop. At least I gotta mohawk! My Blog Updated: March 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Stac928Stac928 member

image js527:
    You can give him benedryl (1-2mg/pound) to reduce the swelling.  You can also give him 1 baby aspirin per 15 pounds, but make sure it's baby aspirin, not tylenol, advil, etc. Keep an eye on him though - if it doesn't improve, I'd go to the e-vet.

This and watch him very carefully.  Last year my dog had an allergic reaction to a bug bite and his head swelled so much it started affecting his breathing. 

A Spring Day on the Katy Trail
  • If he swallowed the bee, he might have trouble breathing if it stung his throat - keep a very close eye on him and be ready to get him to the e-vet for an epi shot if necessary. ?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Keep a close eye. Benadryl should help with the swelling.

I ended up in the e-vet with my dog. Her face started swelling, she got hives and then started wheezing. By the time we got her in, she was really struggling to breathe!

• Thanks ladies! We just gave him some Benadryl and will watch him very carefully.
  • I hope your pup does ok!! It's scary when they start to swell up and get welts, and start wheezing..Here's a PIP of my little Tyson the day he had his allergic reaction. He was getting his routine Booster shot (Distemper, rabies,lymes vacc), and went into anaphylaxis right in the exam room of the vet. Afer giving him a shot of dexo (which I'm guessing is like an e-pen), his vitals returned to normal, and we though we were in the clear. Later that night, I was doing dishes, and my future DH came home from work, and was like "is Tyson supposed to look like that??". Lo-and-behold, his face blew up, he had welts all over him, and he was wheezing. We ended up bringing him to the e-clinic (which mind you, is 40 minutes away, but we made it in 20 Wink ). They gave him an antihistamine, and sent us on our way. Before we took him to the e-clinic, I frantically called my mom, and she said to give him Benadryl, and you know what - that's exactly what the e-clinic said to do for the rest of the night/next day! I just was really scared because of his breathing.

Keep us posted on how your pup is doing!

My Little Man, Cael Matthew

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

? Joanne (25), DH (26), Married 06.06.2009 ?
    TTC #1 since 07.23.2010
    BFP #1 08.23.2010 {EDD 05.05.2011}, mc 09.03.2010 at 5w1d
    BFP #2 12.21.2010 {EDD 09.03.2011}
    Beta Levels: 11dpo=43; 13dpo=138; 15dpo=450
    HB of 123bpm on 01.06.2011 (5w5d)
    03.31.2011 - It's a BOY! Hb of 148bpm
    On bed rest 06.30.2011 (30w5d) due to shortened cx and contractions
    08.14.2011 (37w1d) - 13 hours of active labor, which stopped completely on its' own * Getting close!
    Cael Matthew born 09.04.11; 8 lbs, 20.5" long

*Labor Buddy to Shelley1002, due 9.18 & NYChick, due 9.15*

My Blog * TTCAL Ticker Tracker * TTCAL Blog * My Ovulation Chart * September 2011 Blog
  • Oh my goodness poor Tyson! ?I would ask your vet to do only one vaccine per visit from now on. ?I know how scary that is, I almost lost my doggie nephew to a bee sting he was severely allergic to
  • I know, I was a wreck in the office when he initially went into anaphylaxis. He went from this hyper peppy puppy to out cold on the floor in 20 seconds flat - to the nurse, I was like, I think there's something wrong. In comes the dr, and he's like Oh yea, lets get him on the table!

That is actually exactly what the vet suggested, so this year, when he got his rabies and lymes vaccine, they had us come back 2 weeks apart, and had us wait in the waiting for 20 minutes to make sure he was ok.

My Little Man, Cael Matthew

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

? Joanne (25), DH (26), Married 06.06.2009 ?
    TTC #1 since 07.23.2010
    BFP #1 08.23.2010 {EDD 05.05.2011}, mc 09.03.2010 at 5w1d
    BFP #2 12.21.2010 {EDD 09.03.2011}
    Beta Levels: 11dpo=43; 13dpo=138; 15dpo=450
    HB of 123bpm on 01.06.2011 (5w5d)
    03.31.2011 - It's a BOY! Hb of 148bpm
    On bed rest 06.30.2011 (30w5d) due to shortened cx and contractions
    08.14.2011 (37w1d) - 13 hours of active labor, which stopped completely on its' own * Getting close!
    Cael Matthew born 09.04.11; 8 lbs, 20.5" long

*Labor Buddy to Shelley1002, due 9.18 & NYChick, due 9.15*

My Blog * TTCAL Ticker Tracker * TTCAL Blog * My Ovulation Chart * September 2011 Blog