Money Matters

Baked Goods at Yard Sale?

For those of you that have sold baked goods at your yard sale, did you find it worth the effort to bake stuff?  My mom's neighborhood is having their annual yard sale next weekend and I am trying to decide if I want to sell baked goods, too.  What type of items sold well?  How did you price them?  Any suggestions would be great!

Re: Baked Goods at Yard Sale?

• yes! very worth it.  I think we made the same from the yard sale as baked goods when we did it.

rice crispy treats, cookies, anything

also, bottled water

• I've seen this at a lot of yard sales, and I always wonder if it's legal. I, personally, am not comfortable eating something made by a stranger. I don't know how clean or careful they were when baking it. I would, however, buy a soda or bottle of water.
  • I've never sold any at a yard sale but I wanted to say that I will usually buy a something. I would suggest pricing things under $1. Also I've been known to buy a can of pop or bottle of water at a yard sale.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image RachaelNicole:
    I've seen this at a lot of yard sales, and I always wonder if it's legal. I, personally, am not comfortable eating something made by a stranger. I don't know how clean or careful they were when baking it. I would, however, buy a soda or bottle of water.

I tend to feel the same way, but I know that FI would probably eat anything. Water and soda is definitely a good idea.

I know it's been mentioned before, but little kids sell this stuff WAY better than adults.

• image RachaelNicole:
    I've seen this at a lot of yard sales, and I always wonder if it's legal. I, personally, am not comfortable eating something made by a stranger. I don't know how clean or careful they were when baking it. I would, however, buy a soda or bottle of water.

no, technically it's not legal.  however it's also low risk and no health department is going to step in to stop it.  it would only be a problem if it was a regular (daily/weekly) sale.

•  

Yeah, my cousins little girls (6, 8) would be selling the bake sale stuff.  It would be their spending money for when we take them to Disney in June.

• My mom sells baking at her yard sales - she holds her yard sales at my uncle's place in cottage country, though. She also sells excess garden produce.

I would probably just sell snackables induvidually - cookies, puffed wheat cake, rice crispie cake, etc.

• I don't really go to yard sales, so I've never seen this practice, but I had never even heard of it except on the Nest.  But I'm fairly certain wouldn't buy an amateur stranger's baked goods.  I think that carries more potential danger than the toilet seats of death from last night.  LOL.
  • I don't think baked goods at a yard sale are any worse than baked goods at a bake sale...

there are so many questions I need to ask people before I move. The idea of moving to a region where bake sales are verboten might be a dealbreaker for me.

• image uncannycanuck:

I don't think baked goods at a yard sale are any worse than baked goods at a bake sale...

I don't really buy stuff at bake sales either, come to think of it.  But at least at bake sales, it's a group of people who are baking for a cause they support, so hopefully they're upstanding enough citizens that they use fresh ingredients and practice good kitchen hygiene.  I would just not be sure that the bakers weren't negligent in either of those areas; it's not like I think they would intentionally poison the treats, lol.

• I bought a pie at a yard sale one time... it was delicious!

But - I will pretty much eat any sweet you put in front of me. Yum. I'm always tempted to buy the treats at yard sales. 

• Mego04Mego04
    Fifth Anniversary
    I went to a neighborhood wide garage sale and some ppl were selling hotdogs. I ate one. It was good and I had enough fuel to get through the rest of the neighborhood.
  • Thanks for the input, ladies!  I think I will do baked goods, bottled water, and soda. 

• Alot of people in my area do this. Im not sure how they do though. I've never personally bought anything homemade at a ys since Im a little overly cautious when it comes to strangers cooking/baking.

I made homemade dog cookies right after Katrina hit and I was going to send all of the proceeds from the cookies to Louisiana after the sale was over. Believe it or not NO ONE bought any of them. I even made a nice sign so people would know what it was for. They were looking for treats they could eat not their dogs. I was bummed. I ended up donating them to Reese's daycare and they loved them.

image,image, image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just make sure it's reasonably priced.  Between 0.50 - $1 is good.  We rarely buy snacks at garage sales but i have to admit the one time we did it was delicious.  She was making fresh andagi (think fried doughnut balls) and it was one of the best I've had yet.  And cheap at 4/$1.  Yummy!