Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

~tobeGregory~

I saw on the intro post that you are doing speech pathology. I'm thinking about doing going to NSU for speech pathology once I get done with my undergraduate degree with communications. Do you like it at UCO? Are you an undergraduate or graduate? Any help/ insight to the degree would be appreciated. TIA!

Re: ~tobeGregory~

• Hey!  I love it at UCO, the professors are really great and really want to get to know you/help.... all that fun stuff.  I'll start grad school this summer.  Speech path really is a great field to go into, there are so many different places you can work with a Speech path degree - schools, hospitals, nursing homes, sooner start, private practice.  I also know that NSU has a pretty good program for SLP, actually one of my favorite professors, Dr. Hawkins, is going to be starting there next semester.  If you have any specific questions, I'd love to answer them.  I could talk forever about speech path.  I love it. 

• I'm  a little concerned with being prepared/ not knowing enough if I do end up going for SLP. Right now I go to SOSU and they do not offer anything that is related. I'm an Organizational/strategic communications major and some courses I took are a little relevent. We had to take some phonetics and articulation courses, but that about it. I was thinking about going to another school and getting a bachelors in SP before jumping the gun into graduate school. What do you think?
  • Yes, well, to get into any grad school for SLP you have to take some undergrad courses, about 2 semesters worth before you can be accepted.  Then when you apply, you apply as a graduate applicant (grad-ap) since you will already have a bachelors degree.  There are a lot of grad aps at UCO.  Don't be worried about being prepared knowledge wise, I promise that the classes that are required before grad school will more than prepare you. 

Oh, but by applying as a grad ap, you won't end up with another bachelor's in SLP, just take the pre-req's and then you start grad school.  So all in all it would be a 3 years til your masters after you start.  I hope that answered your question!

• Thanks for your help!