Health & Fitness

How do they fix a pinched nerve?

I have an appt on Friday to find out if I have a pinched nerve - just wondering what they do to fix it?

For months now I've had severe numbness in my arms (from my shoulders to my fingertips) when I'm sleeping - and finally made an appt.  I'm guessing that's all it'll be (hopefully).  It doesn't hurt - more so just annoying.  Rather embarassing when the arm goes off and I have to stand there doing a shaky arm dance to wake up my hands to shut it off!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How do they fix a pinched nerve?

• It is my understanding that there isn't much a traditional doctor can do for a pinched nerve.  I have, however, had great success with my chiropractor treating pinched nerves through adjustments.  Hope everything turns out okay and that they get you taken care of! 
  • I had a pinched nerve a few years ago.   I had numbness and tingling in my arm for a couple of weeks.   I finally went to the doctor when I could no longer use my arm.    The doctor said my shoulder girdle muscle (the ones that goes from your chest all the way around your back) was pinching the nerve that led to my arm.   Since it was not the result of an injury, it was considered to be "stress induced" ie caused by holding tension in my shoulders.   I was prescribed muscle relaxers, ibuprofen, given a sling for my arm, and told to rest.    Within a few days of taking the muscle relaxers, my arm was completely better.    I guess the muscle relaxers worked because they relaxed my shoulder muscle that was pinching the nerve.  

Hope your arm gets better soon!

• I actually injured my ulnar nerve talking on my cell phone too much, and resting my arm on the windowsill of my car. Pathetic....I know, but I'm in sales and talking on my cellphone and driving is all I do.

My fingers were numb and my entire arm felt as if my funny bone was constantly getting hit with a tuning fork. 

After getting an EMG test on my arm and determining that there was bad nerve damage, I started going to phsycial therapy three times a week. Surgery was an option, but my doctor was trying to avoid it at all costs. 

I also had to wear a brace as much as possible, 24 hours a day if it could be tolerated. 

After about three months of therapy, exercises, the arm brace and switching to the iphone and using earbuds...my arm is back to normal. 

• I would think they would try to loosen up whatever is pinching the nerve.
  • image BQBride:
    It is my understanding that there isn't much a traditional doctor can do for a pinched nerve.  I have, however, had great success with my chiropractor treating pinched nerves through adjustments.  Hope everything turns out okay and that they get you taken care of! 

I'm going through something like this.  It depends on the location possibly too.  I have one in my foot, takes a long time to heal with proper nutritional supplements because in the foot this will lead to morton's neuroma.  I love my chiropractor, he's helping me fix it naturally.   It takes time, but I understand that all traditional medicine can offer on this one is surgery once it goes really bad, then you're out some nerves.  So, it really depends but I hope it gets better soon!

Bio "Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely!"
  • I have pinched nerves in both feet.  At one point in time I could NOT feel either big toe.  :(

Once I switched to a desk job and satrted wearing flats with good arch support, i slowly got some feeling back in my big toes.