Decorating & Renovating

what is the best sofa material for kids/pets

Looking for a durable sofa, I already have leather in another room so I'm looking for something else. How is microfiber?

Re: what is the best sofa material for kids/pets

• I hear good things about microfiber.

We ended up with DuraHide (basically, leather-looking vinyl).  I'm glad we did. It's basically a "disposable" sofa that we'll get rid of when the kids are old enough to stop puking, pooping, peeing, and coloring all over it.  It cost about 80% less than the real leather sofa we really wanted, and I won't feel badly if it gets damaged. I'll also feel GREAT when I get to replace it in 8 or 10 years. :)

• I don't like microfiber.  I've seen it look really ratty in just a year or two.  It's just not ok for my sofa to pill like a cheap sweater.

Chenille is a great durable fabric that always looks great, no matter what happens to it.  Our dogs climbed all over a chenille chair.

Cotton cobble cloth is also a good fabric.

And you can buy a can of Scotchguard at wal-mart for just a couple dollars to treat any material.

• I love our microfiber loveseat.  We have a 180+ lb dog that sheds alot and I just vacuum the loveseat every month to get the dog hair off it.  We had it stain treated and DH once spilled some soda on it and it cleaned right up with no problems at all. 

I should also add we've had our loveseat for over 1.5 years, it gets sat on every day/night and it still looks brand new.  Its from Klaussner furniture.

• I've heard good things about microfiber, and I'll second chenille. Both are super soft and cozy too, you really can't go wrong either way.
  • Anything with a removable, washable slipcover. They have this option at a lot of stores, usually the material is cotton twill or something similar.

I have a dog that is allowed on the furniture, so this is what I have.

After 2 1/2 years TTC, 3 IUI's, endo, and a lap, a surprise BFP brought us Alexandra Marie!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Warning - we have multiple pieces of furniture in microfiber. Yes you can get stains out easily. However, it wears really easily and the material itself is very thin. After limited use of my furniture I have holes in the microfiber on a chair I got in microfiber. I didn't even have my furniture more than a year :(  My couch is also microfiber and since I had the holes in my chair, I have put a blanket over my couch so that you're not sitting/wearing on the microfiber. Which is totally ridiculous because that's why I bought it. Please be fore-warned.
  • image TarHeels&Rebels:

I don't like microfiber.  I've seen it look really ratty in just a year or two.  It's just not ok for my sofa to pill like a cheap sweater.

Exactly - microfiber doesn't wear well at all.

• Another thing that I don't like about micro fiber is how it leaves hand prints or weird markings when it's touched or rubbed in various directions.  Certain colors show it more than others.
  • I've had a microfiber couch for 7 years now, and it looks the same as the day I bought it.  My DS spills constantly on it since he's always eating on it, and stains always come right out.  Plus, my cat sleeps and shreds all over it without any problems.  I've never seen microfiber wear.  My SIL also has microfiber and theirs doesn't show any wear either.

• image Sarah_&_David:

I've had a microfiber couch for 7 years now, and it looks the same as the day I bought it.  My DS spills constantly on it since he's always eating on it, and stains always come right out.  Plus, my cat sleeps and shreds all over it without any problems.  I've never seen microfiber wear.  My SIL also has microfiber and theirs doesn't show any wear either.

Hmm, I haven't had problems with wear on on my microfiber couch either.  We've had it for 5 years.  In the apartment, it was basically the only comfortable seating we had, so it was used daily.  I'm pretty sure it's an Ashley.

• I had my furniture reupholstered in a chenile-heavy linen blend.  I did this about 4 yrs ago and it still looks wonderful.  And it's very comfortable.  It's my main seating.

I will probably go for leather when we get new furniture but I would def go for the chenile blend again.

• I've had a microfiber sofa with dual recliners for ten years in our family room with two Kids, frequent friends and a dog in the house. The fabric has been without question, the best I've ever had on a sofa. I also treated it with Scotch guard myself and after spilling tomato sauce on it, it came right out with no residual stains. I'm sure there are different grades of this fabric,I would recommend microfiber sofa, as it's easy to maintain..

Thanks for sharing..

Sofasinstock.co.uk - We have a huge selection of luxurious sofas, leather sofa to choose from in a selection of gorgeous, on-trend colours.