New Mexico Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

South West suburbs...

I'm looking for some good places to live in the south west... dh and I may be interested in moving in the next 2 years or so...

any good burbs I can look up?

<3 a dfw nestie...

x-posted to the az boards

Re: South West suburbs...

• flameflame member
    Ancient Membership Combo Breaker

The SW is pretty big. For example, NM is teh 5th largest state. There are a lot of different cities, towns and villages in the state. So a bit more information would be helpful. And suburb only really applies in the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho/Santa Fe metro region. The rest of the state is still predominatly rural

What type of jobs do you want? What is your career?

What type of neioghborhood do you want - rural, semi-rural, urban, artsy, etc.?

What COL do you want?

What activities do you want - cultural, musuems, art, live music, outdoor activities, etc.?

•     I am a special ed teacher, dh is in data tech systems management (computer shyte)

We really don't have any other specifications... relative proximity to a metropolitan area... an hour drive or so...

I know that is vague, but our intention is vague... we're just looking for a special place. We'd love to settle in sedona, az, but col is wicked high...

thanks for replying anyway. :)
  • flameflame member
    Ancient Membership Combo Breaker
    Kels-
    I am a fan of vague. You actually aren't that vague - you want a special place (like Sedona) with a LCOL. That gives me a place to start.

Santa Fe would be obvious (the El Dorado or Rancho Viejo developments on the S side of town), but the COL in Santa Fe is sky high.  And SF has enough need for computer geeks that DH could find a job. (Thornburg Investments, the bioinformatics firm I can never remeber the name of, state government, Los Alamos labs are all some employers in SF.)

Taos is also great, but the economy is pretty much only tourist based.

Albuquerque has more to offer job wise. And most of the IT jobs are in ABQ. ABQ has a lot of different neighborhoods - an urban downtown (EDO, Country Club, Wells Park, Barelas), the more funky Nob Hill/UNM, agricultural North Valley or South Valley, etc.

You might like some of the ABQ bedroom communities - Bernalillo, Placitas and Corrales come to mind. All are pretty rural and have that great SW feel, but you're only 15-30 minutes from ABQ.

Down south, Las Cruces might be to your liking. It keeps getting ranked pretty high on "places to move" lists.

And I'm a fan of Truth or Consequences. People keep saying it's what Sedona was 20 years ago. (For a job, your DH would probably have to commute up to NM Tech in Soccorro. At least until the Spaceport goes in.)