Gardening & Landscaping

Do you water your vegetable garden daily?

I've been watering daily, but wonder if it's necessary or if every other day is good enough. Stuff is sprouting right now. I give them a good soak around 3pm. Is there a better time to water? No idea about this kinda stuff.

Re: Do you water your vegetable garden daily?

• you don't need to water every day unless you are in extreme heat. it is better to water early morning so you have less evaporation
  • image hoping4septimus:
    you don't need to water every day unless you are in extreme heat. it is better to water early morning so you have less evaporation

ditto.  the only time I'd water everyday would be like August.  Also, early AM or later PM (like when the sun is setting) are much better times to water.  I personally prefer AM b/c slugs are an issue in my yard & they are more active at night so making everything moist at night just results in a feeding frenzy.

If you direct sowed seeds into your garden then you may need to water everyday to keep the soil moist, but I still wouldn't do it in the afternoon.

• It really depends on how much it rains where you are.  I live in TX and we have to water the garden pretty much every day...I usually do it in the evening because if you water in the afternoon it doesn't do any good as the last few nesties pointed out....I think 3 would be too early as 4pm is the hottest time of the day...try 6 or 7pm or am
  • It depends on your climate and wat stage of grwoth your plants are in. I'm in the high desert (1 mile up, less than 8 inches of rain a year). I water my veggies by hand everyday from mid-June to late-August if it doesn't rain the previous day. And I make sure the soil stays moist when things are germinating or have just been transplanted. But I have to - our sun will wilt a plant like no one's business.
  • Thanks for the tips. Maybe it'll motivate me to wake up earlier :)