Money Matters

"Money Shower" poem wording?

Okay, so I know it is considered tacky by most, but I'm throwing a shower for my friend and she/they are requesting money.  They have been living together for over a year and they are having a destination wedding, so they could use all the money help they can get.  Proper etiquette or not, this is her request and I need help on how to word it tactfully in the invitations.  It is mostly close friends and family, so they already know the situation and I don't think will be offended, but I'd like it to sound as nice and cute as possible.

Does anyone have any Poems or suggestions on wording that I can use? 

Thanks!

Re: "Money Shower" poem wording?

• omg...does anyone remember the poem that an MM'er made up for the "purse party?"

• Can you make it a purse party theme...?  I already wrote a poem for that!
    7/21/2007 :)

imageimageimage

Deductive reasoning isn't a conservative or liberal attribute. ~epphd
  • I don't think there's a cute way to beg.

Unless you somehow incorporate a puppy or baby.

• If I could think of something, I'd offer it up, and I understand the situation that you're in.  But there's no cute, non-tacky way of saying "give us money.  Thanks."
  • There is no appropriate way to do this.  Spread the word via word-of-mouth.

Is people invited to the shower who are not invited to the wedding?  Double whammy on the etiquette faux pas if so.

• Bride and groom have been living in sin for a year

Playing house means no need for housewears we fear.

For pots and pans they have no need,

You can satisfy your gift obligation with money to satisfy their greed.

They are getting married far away

So just send your gift, they don't want you there anyway.

• I don't think there is a proper way to say we want cash only. I certainly wouldn't do it in an invitation. Maybe word of mouth. That would be just rude.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • there is no "tactful" way to do this.  If she doesn't want gifts, then she shouldn't have a shower.  And if her friends adn family know the situation anyhow, won't they just give her cash anyhow?

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• image papiercherri:

omg...does anyone remember the poem that an MM'er made up for the "purse party?"

Crap stupid lack of nest search.  I'm trying to find it.

imageimageimage

• image MrsZP2B:

Bride and groom have been living in sin for a year

LMAO...

• Please be a honey,
    Give me all your money,
    I'm not being a b*tch,
    I just want to be rich.
    Fork over the dough,
    On our vacation we will go.

XOXO, Bridezilla.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Why even throw a shower if she is opening money??  I just don't get it.  I have nothing.  I am already pulling my hair out trying to convince my bridesmaid and her mom not to throw me a gift card shower.  Ugh...

I would really try to discourage this.  Regardless of the family and friends knowing the situation I would still see it as tacky.  Can't she just get gifts from her registry and return them if she absolutely needs money?  

I don't get people who plan weddings they can't afford.

• IndifferentI don't really think there's a non-tacky way to do that. ?IMO, If all you want is $$, you don't get a shower so people can sit around watching you open envelopes and go "Cha-ching." ?I know she's your friend and all, but a poem just makes it tackier.Maybe you could suggest that she register for new towels or bedding or something (there must be *something* she could use). ?And then if she realizes she doesn't need it, she could always discreetly return it for cash...
  • image MrsZP2B:

Bride and groom have been living in sin for a year

LOL!
  • There is no way to do this and no poem I can find.  Just don't include registry information and pass the word when people ask...something like:

Guest: Where are they registered?

You: They aren't regsitered and already have an established household.  I'm sure a monetary gift would be deeply appreciated.

Sorry, there is no way to write "please pay for our wedding" in a cute, poem way on an invitation or anywhere.

Maybe doing a honeymoon/destination registry instead would be the better way for them to go?

• We don't want the dishes

Just your best wishes

And cash.

XoXo-

Bride and Groom

Seriously, since you know this is in poor taste - I don't think there will be tons of poems handy.  Just write something at the bottom.

• image GypsyLou:

We don't want the dishes

Just your best wishes

And cash.

XoXo-

Bride and Groom

Seriously, since you know this is in poor taste - I don't think there will be tons of poems handy.  Just write something at the bottom.

I like this one... Short, sweet, and to the point.

I would make sure to make the "And cash" part bold and italicized though so no one misses this most important part.

• Come to a party, and shower the bride

She already knows it's tacky, don't chide.

So come on, friends, and cough up the money

I hope that you think this poem is funny

It's not 'cause they're needy

It's just that they're greedy

So get out your checkbooks suckers and pay up.

• Wow.  I have absolutely no desire to attend a money shower. 

• Check your calendar, dear.  April Fool's was yesterday.  Nice try, though!
  • You know it's tacky and it's not your choice and you asked for help, so I will try to help rather than just continuing to say this is tacky.

My suggestion would be not to list anything on the shower invite and to just list your email or phone number and request RSVPs.  When people call, mention that they are not registered anywhere and you know they will appreciate gifts of money or gift cards (if that's true).

You may also suggest they set up a page on honeyfund.com and ask for donations to specific parts of the wedding or honeymoon.  This way, they still get money to do with what they want (it goes straight to them through the website or by check at the shower), but people also feel like they are giving an item and not just cash.  People then often bring small gifts along with their "donation," such as flip flops, beach towels, etc. because people like to give tangible things at showers.

Then if you want cute wording or a poem, it's easier to make up and ask for money for the honeymoon rather than just money.

• Throw a bucket of monopoly money on her. "Here's your money shower!"

Seriously though, do it via word-of-mouth. No poem. Even if it were a close friend and I knew that they didn't need anything, I'd give them money for the wedding - not the shower. And I'd think it's tacky and wouldn't send a gift.

Even the upper crust can make a typeos.
  • If everyone knows the situation, then they already know to get her cash.

We were in a similiar situation with my sister, who got married locally but was stationed in Hawaii.  Most people understood that she couldn't get all the gifts back to her house too easily.  There were still a few people who got her small wedding gifts, but really....that's not a big deal.

gifts + invitations do not go together. Save yourself the scrutiny.

• I would not attend a money shower if my life depended on it. I even felt uncomfortable registering for gifts. I couldn't imagine begging for money!

Maybe they should rethink this destination wedding, you know, since they can't afford it.

• Sadly my original poem doesn't seem to be archived here on the Nest.  But here's a reasonable approximation of the last verse:

Faithful friends and family,

I'm not trying to be rash

But forget the thoughtful shopping

And bring the b*tch some cash.

imageimageimage

• I don't understand the purpose of a money shower.  Everyone sits around and watches her open cards and oohs and ahhs? Hmm

• Just realize that since you are the hostess, this is going to be a very poor reflection upon you.
  • I know this is tacky

But I'm the bride's lackey

She wants lots of money

To spend with her honey

So bring cash, not porcelain or glass

Because she's a klassy ass

• image GypsyLou:

We don't want the dishes

Just your best wishes

And cash.

XoXo-

Bride and Groom

Love this one!  And I agree w PPs there's just no non-tacky way to do it.  Sorry.

• Hmm. you know, you could make invites on snapfish that play music. I'd do the song "I want money" by Calloway