Decorating & Renovating
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need help with exterior color scheme

We have a salmon brick ranch style house. We just had a new dimaensional shingle roof put on.  It is grey with some reddy brown in it.  Currently our shutters and flowere boxes are kind of a dark teal green and our front door is white.  Do you have an paint color advice for us?  I have looked all over the Internet for ideas and can't come up with anything.

A couple of years ago, I found the web site of a paint company where you could send them a picture of your house and they would make color suggestions for you...but of course, now I can't remember which one it was.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Need help with exterior color scheme

• Are you looking to paint your brick, shutters, door or all? What colors do you like? What colors are homes in your area? If you're leaving your brick, I really like the traditional brick home w/ black shutters and door.?

Check out, and go to their Curb Appeal section...or, watch a few episodes of the show. They often paint brick and come up with some fantastic color combos. ?

• I know you said your roof has grey and brown in it, so my suggestion is only if it has more grey.  What about black shutters with a red door?  I've always liked the look of black shutters on a brick house.  The red door would be pretty.  It would look something like this:

Is the brick in this picture the color of your brick?  If not, I might have to change my mind :0)

Although the red door wouldn't go with the flower boxes....maybe you could paint them black or get some new ones?

• We will not be painting the brick...just the door, shutters and flowers boxes.
  • my parents' house is pink brick and they have ivory colored trim, doors, etc. if you look in my bio under wedding, there's a close up of the front of the house.