Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Adult ear infections?

I have been getting REALLY dizzy the last two days and my ears randomly hurt on and off throughout the day.  Is it possible I have an ear infection?  And if I do, do I HAVE to go to a doctor or is it something that I can do at home or can it just kinda pass?  Any information is helpful. Thanks!
PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Adult ear infections?

• Adults get ear infections. (Sadly, I have a problem with it.) Some folks' ear canals are shaped in a way where they don't drain water as easily. Anyway, I think you have to get some antibiotic ear drops from the Dr. You don't want to wait or it could spread to your middle ear which is hell. Hope you feel better soon. Who knows--maybe it's just allergies or something. Better to know though.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've had ear infection issues for the last 5 years.  It is no fun.  You might have an inner ear infection that could be causing the dizziness and the pain.  In my experience, the pain will get worse and it's the very worst at night when you lay down.  I would definitely go to the doc.  If it's an infection you'll need antibiotics.  And you don't want it to get worse.  That happened to me and my ear drum burst and I've had issues ever since.
  • I've had a couple of ear infections.  The last one I had was around this time last year and was the worst pain I had ever felt.  I wanted to DIE, especially at night when laying down like Abrooks said.  It happened because I let a sinus infection go on too long without getting it treated.  So I'd definitely say go to the doc, and if you can get in to see one, see an ENT.  Good luck, ear infections suck.  No wonder little kids that get them are so grumpy and upset...they hurt bad!

• yes and yes! Adults get ear infections just like kiddos. I am actually on my second set of tubes in 3 years. Nothing like being 33 and sitting w/ a one year old recovering from the same procedure.

It is important to get it take care of right away or you risk ear damage or a rupture. Some people find that chiropractors help w/ ear drainage (not so in my case) but otherwise you do need to get some antibiotics.

• While we're on the subject, I've had a sinus infection since March 19th. I finally went to the doctor last Friday because it was spreading to my eyes. I've been on antibiotics since last Friday and woke up today with ear problems. My left ear is clogged up and my ears have been ringing for most of the day. I also woke up last night around midnight with my cough again and had to take some Nyquil...and I have a nyquil hangover today. It took me an hour and a half to get ready this morning because I wanted to go back to sleep. Should I wait another day or get another appointment ASAP?
  • image 2bmrslove:
    While we're on the subject, I've had a sinus infection since March 19th. I finally went to the doctor last Friday because it was spreading to my eyes. I've been on antibiotics since last Friday and woke up today with ear problems. My left ear is clogged up and my ears have been ringing for most of the day. I also woke up last night around midnight with my cough again and had to take some Nyquil...and I have a nyquil hangover today. It took me an hour and a half to get ready this morning because I wanted to go back to sleep. Should I wait another day or get another appointment ASAP?

I'd call your doc.  The cough isn't abnormal b/c of post nasal drip and that usually takes forever to go away.  But if it's getting worse and affecting your ears, you may need a different antibiotic to treat it.