Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

thoughts on cat mountain area?

we are looking at properties and had originally planned to focus on southwest austin (we really like the travis country neighborhood) because of its proximity to downtown plus the suburban shopping available and good schools. 

however, our realtor threw a wrench into our plan when he showed us this amazing property in cat mountain that's at the top of our price range but incredible.  the doubts i had about that neighborhood are that it doesn't seem like its close to anything except downtown.  this may sound stupid but i really love Lifetime Fitness and had soo looked forward to working out there when we moved to Austin.  I probably won't work out there anymore if we live there and I still have to get stuck in traffic to go to Target, Costco, the mall etc.  

Obviously, i haven't lived in Austin very long so I was wondering what you all thought about the two areas and any pluses/minuses that I hadn't thought of.  

image image image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: thoughts on cat mountain area?

• Cat Mountain is an excellent area of town and the homes there should retain their value very nicely.  It has very easy access to MoPac, so I don't think that you'll have a hard time getting anywhere.  You can also take backroads to 183, or shoot up 2222 to get to 620.  I used to live near 620 and 2222 (back when there wasn't all the strip malls that they have now) and it didn't take long to get anywhere in particular. 

However - where are your jobs?  If you have to drive south of the river everyday for work, it would be hell.  Traffic always backs up heading south (both morning and night), and then getting back north will be terrible too, even on MoPac.  

image  image
  • Northwest Hills (which borders Cat Mountain) is one of our preferred areas to live. We live in Tarrytown now, so we're used to being close in to everything. I was a little nervous about going to the Northwest Hills area because I was afraid it was going to take us longer to get to all our spots. I'm not so sure that's true, though. It turns out that neighborhood is pretty close to everything: the Arboretum, 360, downtown. Also, I've heard the neighborhood holds it's value very well. 

The furtherest South I've ever lived is just north of Barton Creek Mall, so I can't help you there. 

Good luck!

• Hi!  (this is my first post to this board by the way) My new husband and I actually just bought a condo about five months ago in the area right off 2222 and Mt. Bonnell Road (just around the block from the Cat Mountain area) and we LOVE it!!!  It is so close to everything and very convenient to downtown, the Arboretum, Arbor Walk shopping, the Domain, Target off of 183 and there's an HEB and Randalls around the corner.  The only problem is the gym thing... I'm not one to go to a gym unless it is on my way home or in my apartment (that's the only thing I miss about apartments), and there really isn't one convenient to the area.  I know there is a 24 hour Fitness and Gold's gym on 183 near Mopac and a premiere lady which is a very small gym next to HEB on Far West.  Anyway, it is a beautiful area- we feel like we live in the hill country but we are right in central Austin.  I highly recommend the area. 

• image kristin0621:

Hi!  (this is my first post to this board by the way) My new husband and I actually just bought a condo about five months ago in the area right off 2222 and Mt. Bonnell Road (just around the block from the Cat Mountain area) and we LOVE it!!!  It is so close to everything and very convenient to downtown, the Arboretum, Arbor Walk shopping, the Domain, Target off of 183 and there's an HEB and Randalls around the corner.  The only problem is the gym thing... I'm not one to go to a gym unless it is on my way home or in my apartment (that's the only thing I miss about apartments), and there really isn't one convenient to the area.  I know there is a 24 hour Fitness and Gold's gym on 183 near Mopac and a premiere lady which is a very small gym next to HEB on Far West.  Anyway, it is a beautiful area- we feel like we live in the hill country but we are right in central Austin.  I highly recommend the area. 

the gym thing pretty much describes my level of motivation.  i really am worried that between not having a gym close by and also living in the hills where running would be pretty painful, i am not going to be working out that much.  it seems like the neighborhood is pretty close to town lake so that would be a good place to go running but if i want to just run out the door, that will be more difficult.

as far as our work situations go, DH is planning to start school at TSU in San Marcos in the fall and I work in Round Rock so there's pretty much no winning that situation.  

image image image image
  • I don't have any thoughts on Cat Mountain, but I can chime in for Travis Country.  Travis Country is a wonderful family neighborhood.  The people are great, the neighborhood itself is very progressive and sensitive to the environment considering that it backs up to Barton Creek.  There are miles and miles of trails in the greenbelt that take you to Sculpture Falls and Twin Falls.  Also, because TC is contained, there is not any drive-through traffic. Proximity to everything is awesome: downtown, shopping, gyms, trails, pools, ammenities, all major roads, etc.  Good luck with your decision, you'll be happy with whatever you choose!
  • I would love to live in the cat mountain area!!  <sigh>  There is a 24 Hour fitness right there and there's a Lifetime Fitness at 620 and 183ish area - which is about a 10 minute drive.  I used to live in NW Hills area and loved to jog that neighborhood.  Yes, it's hilly and it sucked at first - but I grew to love it and it was awesome training!! 
  • image romigu:

it seems like the neighborhood is pretty close to town lake so that would be a good place to go running but if i want to just run out the door, that will be more difficult.

I definitely wouldn't describe Cat Mountain as being close to Town Lake.  At least a 15 minute drive (without traffic), and there are a ton of gyms closer than that.  

image  image
  • DH and I were looking at Cat Mountain and we ended up not far from there (360/2222).  We absolutely LOVE the location - it really is convenient to get anywhere from here and we can be downtown in 15 minutes.  We also go to Town Lake a lot and can be there in about 10 min.  We belong to Lifetime Fitness as well and are about halfway between both locations - although there tends to be less traffic if you head down 360 to MoPac.  Even after work, I can get to the gym in about 20 minutes.  Good luck!
    image Bloom Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image LyndseyLou:
    I don't have any thoughts on Cat Mountain, but I can chime in for Travis Country.  Travis Country is a wonderful family neighborhood.  The people are great, the neighborhood itself is very progressive and sensitive to the environment considering that it backs up to Barton Creek.  There are miles and miles of trails in the greenbelt that take you to Sculpture Falls and Twin Falls.  Also, because TC is contained, there is not any drive-through traffic. Proximity to everything is awesome: downtown, shopping, gyms, trails, pools, ammenities, all major roads, etc.  Good luck with your decision, you'll be happy with whatever you choose!

you've described perfectly why i love the TC area!  although it will be a farther drive for me to work, i love that everything else is so close.  plus, the way my schedule is, i don't think traffic will be all that bad.  the cons to that area is that the houses seem more "cookie cutter" and lack the character of the cat mountain area.  cat mountain is so AUSTIN.  ahh...i feel like we're never going to decide.  

image image image image
  • We looked at both areas when we were house hunting.  I adore Cat Mountain and would live there in a heart beat.  I love that it isn't cookie cutter and that it's in the hills.  We lived a bit north of there and found it super easy to get to 360, 183, and Mopac in that area. 
  • I agree with you completly!  I love how the homes central are more unique as TC does have a more cookie cutter look.  But, we do love our neighborhood so much and our neighbors are amazing as well.  For our lifestyle, it fits us better as the trails to Barton Creek (hubby is a mt. biker) are super important.  I also like the fact that all the kiddos can ride their bikes in the 'hood without too much fear of being run down. Not to mention an active tennis league, swim team, giant easter-egg hunt, fishing pond, etc.