Pets

XP: Lime for lawn care - dangerous to dogs?

(XP on Landscaping, looking for information on lime used for lawn care since we have a small dog.) 

My BIL (he's 21) works for a landscaping company.  He's going to clean up our yard for us, we have a ton of branches and debris down from a bad ice storm we got in December.  He noted that we have a lot of moss that grows over our grass so he wants to treat it with lime so the moss will die off and the grass will be able to grow.

We have a small dog, she's primarily an indoor dog but I do take her out (always accompanied) for a walk and fresh air.  Ruby likes to run around the yard.  My concern is her walking on or ingesting some lime.  I don't know the chemical make up of lime or anything else about it.  I can keep Ruby off the lawn since I'm always with her and she is pretty good at staying with me.

How much of a concern is the lime?  If it's not safe for her, how long do I have to keep her off the lawn?

TIA!!

photo May2014.jpgphoto MomTatWhiteNew40.jpg
BabyFetus Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker
May 2014 November Siggy Challenge
The Griswold’s Christmas Vacation
photo GriswoldChristmas.jpg

Re: XP: Lime for lawn care - dangerous to dogs?

• I would keep her off the lawn until it rains. ?If it gets on her paws, she will lick them and ingest the lime. ?Same with any kind of fertilizer. ?I'd walk her in other areas until it rains.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't know about lime -- but I don't treat my lawn with anything because I have small dogs. ?We will mess with the front yard, but not the back.
    My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

TTC #1 @ 38, Dx: ovulation issues
    15 treatment cycles: c/p 4/11, m/c 12/11 (6w), possible ectopic + MTX 4/12 (7w)
    Another c/p in 12/12

Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

• The active ingredient in lime is calcium carbonate, which theoretically is safe enough (it's the main ingredient in many antacids, for example). But, with anything that is artificially applied like that, I would worry about inhalation and ingestion.

• As someone who limes several times a year, it's perfectly fine.  The only thing you should never expose the dogs to is the spreading of the lime as significant inhalation wouldn't be good and, usually while spreading, much of the lime tends to end up in the air (if you use powder).  We prefer using the pellets as it's not good for us to breathe it in either. 
  • I'll ask BIL if he can do pellets, great idea.  BIL also said he'll try to put down the lime as close to an expected rain fall as he can to minimize how long it's exposed to my dog.
    photo May2014.jpgphoto MomTatWhiteNew40.jpg
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    May 2014 November Siggy Challenge
    The Griswold’s Christmas Vacation
    photo GriswoldChristmas.jpg