Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone dairy free?

If so, how is it?  How strict are you?  Can you tell a difference in the way you feel? Why did you get rid of dairy from your diet?

DH read something about dairy and thinks we should try going dairy free.  Actually - he thinks I should try it in order to help with some health issues.  I told him he should try it with me and so we're doing it for the month of April.  I'm am a bit scared. I don't eat a ton of dairy but that really is a huge diet limitation to avoid it all together.  

Re: Anyone dairy free?

• I'm a vegetarian -- so without cheese I would be so hungry.  So, I'm no help.

On a positive note, I've heard going without dairy can also have a great impact on your skin.

• i was vegan, now vegetarian.  i can definitely tell a difference health wise when i eliminate or limit my dairy intake.  its definitely difficult (especially when you don't eat meat) but there are actually good alternatives and substitutes for *most* items. 

i think giving it a shot cold turkey for a few weeks is the best thing to do- you will probably feel the difference within 2 weeks - at least i know i do!

let us know how it goes if you do it!

• Matthew can't tolerate dairy, so I've cut all dairy and lactose (minus milk chocolate b/c I'd go nuts without, but I do limit myself)

It's hard! ?I never knew how much 'dairy' is in everything. ?I don't know how far you are planning to go- just main dairy or are you also cutting whey/casian, etc? ?It takes a lot of label reading! ?It took two weeks to get the dairy out of my system (per the pedi and lc's I talked with). ?I've now been dairy-free for about 2 months and it's getting easier, but I do often cook dinners for the family that I can't eat myself b/c it is too limiting for them (nothing w/ the word cream in it, no cheese, etc cuts out a lot of family favorites!). ?

Hmmm- I'm wondering if I've noticed any changes in my skin... finally a nice perk other than a happier baby!?

Jacob David (01/07), Matthew Isaac (12/08) & Kasey Elise (9/10)
    WEB
  • I'm semi-dairy free. I don't drink milk or eat ice cream or yogurt or anything obviously dairy like that, but I'll still have cream-based soups and eat cakes and stuff that have dairy in them. And I'll still have the occasional cheese burger.

I went all dairy-free for about one week, and then my parents came into town and we went out for ice cream and I didn't think twice about it (habit). I almost spent the rest of the day in bed. It was incredible how quickly my body had adjusted to not having dairy.

The other thing that amazes me is that things that used to have their own food group for me (like queso...mmm...) simply no longer sound good. Honestly. So, for me, it got much easier as time went by and my body started adjusting the things I found appetizing/tempting.

EDIT: oh, I forgot to add the why. I had a coach who was a nurtrition advocate (he had a rare form of cancer and basically cured himself by changing his diet...seriously). He had tried everything--no dairy, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, etc., and he said of ALL the things he had tried, the one thing he would advocate for the general population, and the one thing he never cheats on is the dairy-free. 

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • rssnlvr- you talking about j.w.?  loooove him :)
  • I went dairy free for a while, and it wasn't that hard.  I substituted soy products for all my dairy (and at the time I was consuming about 6-7 servings of dairy a day - a lot, I know!).  I ended up having to go back to dairy and get off soy entirely because it was affecting my fertility, which was totally weird but it had something to do with the phyto estrogens in soy.  I was able to go back to SOME soy once we had achieved a sticky pregnancy, but the doc advised not to consume more than 1 or a max of 2 servings of soy products per day.

The reason i went off dairy in the first place was because I was having a lot of digestive problems, and I did notice if I ever cheated and ate a piece of cheese or had a dessert that had dairy in it, I would be torn up for days afterward.  The digestive problems were almost totally solved by the no-dairy.  I did not notice a difference in my skin or allergies as some do.

I don't know a whole lot about dairy and how it can affect your system aside from my IBS symptoms, but I wanted to say that when I switched back to dairy I went to lactose-free forms.  That has been a lifesaver for me!  I also have to limit my intake anyway, but as long as I drink lactose-free milk and stick to really low lactose cheeses I'm much, much better.

• image molliedb:
    rssnlvr- you talking about j.w.?  loooove him :)

YES! Did you train with him? He was amazing. Did you know he and V have an adorable little baby boy now? 

• I do it for my allergies and it makes a huge difference.  I started doing just lactose free and went from there.  Even just lactose free made a different.  soy milk isn't that bad at all.  Also, my doctor said sharp cheeses, like sharp cheddars have less of an actual milk content or something so it's easier to digest.  That way I can still get my cheese fix.  It's really not hard at all for me.  The gluten thing...that's another story.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also, I wanted to mention, we went from Soy to Rice milk. Soy still had a "taste" (even though I didn't mind it), and I feel like Rice milk is a lot more neutral. It's a little watery, so if you cook with it, just use a little less than the recipe calls for or your dish will come out soupier than you intended.
  • Please let me know if you decide to do it and what works for you. I have been thinking of cutting more dairy (I already use soy milk).
    Business Cat. image
  • Ditto angelaggie - the sharper/harder the cheese, the lower the lactose content = easier to digest.
  • CJ - I actually heard the same thing about soy and infertility in men. 

I bought this ice cream at whole foods - it's made with coconut milk, so it's dairy free and gluten free.  it's really good!

http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/purely_decadent_Coconut_Milk.html

[IMG]http://tinyurl.com/7trsf2k[/IMG]
    merry everything!
  • image ssinca:

CJ - I actually heard the same thing about soy and infertility in men. 

I bought this ice cream at whole foods - it's made with coconut milk, so it's dairy free and gluten free.  it's really good!

http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/purely_decadent_Coconut_Milk.html

Oooh, that looks good!! 

• rssn- yes!  we used to coach for team in training together (before i had kids and got lazy and slow.  hahaha)  he is such a wonderful guy!

those links are awesome- thanks everyone!

• yum- I am going to get some of that ice cream tomorrow!! ?Thanks for sharing that!
    Jacob David (01/07), Matthew Isaac (12/08) & Kasey Elise (9/10)
    WEB
  • the cookie dough flavor is my fav. ;)
    [IMG]http://tinyurl.com/7trsf2k[/IMG]
    merry everything!
  • I am!  I have a dairy allergy and have been dairy-free for 7 years.  It's gotten a lot easier over the last few years to find good dairy substitutes.  I love Silk Soy yogurt and Tofutti Cuties mini soy ice cream sandwiches.  Any of the Purely Decadent soy "ice cream" has been pretty good.  They even have chocolate chip cookie dough soy ice cream!  Stick out tongue

If I get a craving for mac & cheese, Amy's makes a frozen soy cheeze version that is pretty darn good.

If you have other questions, you can email me at thethomps at gmail dot com.  

Oh, and I am VERY strict.  The side-effects are horribly unpleasant so I avoid dairy at all costs.  I don't get breakouts very often - not sure if that is good genes or no dairy in my diet.  :)

No siggy pic until TB gets rid of Twitter and FB links Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers