Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Who knows about tiling and/or cabinet refinishing?

I don't really love the tile backsplash in the kitchen (ahem in my new kitchen, natch). ?

Most of the tile is fine, it's the accent pieces that I don't like. ?So knowledgeable do it your self nesties, can I take out just the accent tiles without ripping the entire backsplash out?

Or should I reglaze those accent tiles?

My other question is about the cabinets - they have this rope accent on them that is not my style. ?But the cabinets are fairly new, and we can't afford to replace them. ?So can I pop off the rope accent piece, or would that completely destroy the cabinet? ?Would it be horrible to take newish cabinets and paint/stain them because I don't like the color?

?TYVM?

Re: Who knows about tiling and/or cabinet refinishing?

• I think it would be a real PITA to get those tiles out.

As for the cabinets, maybe you pop the molding off and replace it with one you like better?

• You should be able to take the rope pieces off, but depending on how it looks, you may have to put something else in its place.

We are actually adding the 'rope' accent to our cabinets when we repaint them. lol

You might be able to chisel out the the accent tiles and replace them.  Sometimes, it just depends on what they used to attach them and whether or not you can break the bond without breaking adjacent tiles.

• Yes!! You can totally pop out those tiles... and put in new ones. I did this in a bathroom.

Stainless steel ones would great in there. ;)

What you're going to do is get a Dremmel and gently file out the grout. Then use a pry thing to pop the tile. Put the new tile in and re grout. If the grout is colored you'll have to match it, which could be the hardest part, but it's a super easy project.

The moulding could be harder. It might be part of the cabinet. Or it might pop. If it does pop it may or may not leave damage. That's more of a wait and see project.   And yes, you can totaly paint them (I don't know about stain... check D&R) I painted our and they came out great and are holding up well.

EDIT: There's a VERY specific wash/repair/prime/paint process that I found works best. I'll totally give you a brain dump if you need one!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Oh, and I don't think it's weird to paint/stain newish cabinets...you need to make your house your own, and if that does it for you, then go for it.
  • From DH (not me :))

You should be able to cut out the accent tiles by removing the grout first. You'll have to cut the grout out with a grinder or a dremel tool with a grinder bit on it.

For the cabinets, it depends on how that rope moulding is attached. If it's just glued on you should be able to break it off with a razor blade. The wood under it will probably have no finish on it. Before you refinish it you'll have to remove all of the adhesive they used. They sell stuff for it, probably by 2m.

But if they're dowled in, you'll have to find the right size dowles, cut them to size (to plug the hole), sand it down and then finish it over top of it. But you'll still be able to see those spots if it's a light color or stain. 

Hope that helps.

• You would be better off re-tiling the whole back splash with something you liked better.  It's not that hard and would save you a ton of time and effort. 

If the molding on the cabinets does come off you could sand the entire thing down and stain them.  (I think I remember you not being fond of the color as well, right?).  Little more of a PITA then the backsplash but very do-able.

• Ah, well if I take them off, I'll save the trim for you! ?LOL

I'm pretty sure the stain won't match under the trim - and it might leave a dent in the molding.

Maybe we could replace the trim with something non-ropey.

What about painting cabinets? ?Yay or nay??

• IMO, the tiles shouldn't be a huge problem. ?You'll have to chip out the old ones carefully, and regrout/seal the whole backsplash. ?The rope trim on the cabs will probably have to stay. ?But if you sand and paint (lots of careful work) all the cabs, it will minimize the look of the trim.

To be brutally honest, the only thing that bugs me about the kitch is that it all looks so model housey. ?I would paint the cabs, keep the counters, change out the backsplash in some way, and keep the counters.?

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

TTC #1 @ 38, Dx: ovulation issues
    15 treatment cycles: c/p 4/11, m/c 12/11 (6w), possible ectopic + MTX 4/12 (7w)
    Another c/p in 12/12

Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

• image rockstarpup:

What about painting cabinets?  Yay or nay? 

I'm yay for this.

• If you paint them you will have to sand them down first to help the paint stick to the actual wood, so it won't peel. 

I like painted cabinets.

• We have a dremmel already. ?I might try this........it's very tempting. ?The accent tiles are so fug-tastic I can't stand it. ?If I screw it up and break the other tiles, I'm cool with redoing the backsplash. ?I'd prefer subway tiles anyway.

Now: would a rack hanging over the center island for our pots be too crowded? ??

• image k8e_girl:

There's a VERY specific wash/repair/prime/paint process that I found works best. I'll totally give you a brain dump if you need one!

I want to know.  We are planning to paint our cabinets pretty soon.

• and what are you supposed to put on the top of the cabinets? ?Do you just leave that empty, or do you stick decorative dishes up there? ?Plants? ?Pictures?

I'm totally clueless. ?I've never had a kitchen of my own before, where I can do whatever I want. ?The choices are overwhelming!!!!!?

• yay for painting the cabinets.

I painted ours and they look great and have held up well.

My neighbor (same house, same cabinets)  had hers painted so they have an antique look to them (2 coats in different colors and then sanded) and they look amazing!

• What color would you paint the cabinets? I feel like white would look weird with the tan countertops...
  • image rockstarpup:

and what are you supposed to put on the top of the cabinets? ?Do you just leave that empty, or do you stick decorative dishes up there? ?Plants? ?Pictures?

I'm totally clueless. ?I've never had a kitchen of my own before, where I can do whatever I want. ?The choices are overwhelming!!!!!?

Fake plants to catch the dust. ?Wink

Sorry, that's just the #1 question that used to be asked when I was a regular on the Home board. ? I deliberately designed my kitchen to have no space above the cabs because WTF do you put up there?? ?I just have really tall cabs that you need a stepstool to reach. ?Good for my rarely-used pots and serving pieces.?

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

TTC #1 @ 38, Dx: ovulation issues
    15 treatment cycles: c/p 4/11, m/c 12/11 (6w), possible ectopic + MTX 4/12 (7w)
    Another c/p in 12/12

Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

• Trust me, after seeing some of the kitchens in other houses, I'm grateful to have this kitchen, even if it is model housey.

The backsplash tile (with the exception of the accent pieces) is actually a really nice ceramic tile with a bit of a see through element to it. ?It's not what I would pick out on my own, but it's very nice in person.

?

• I like your counters... are they granite??

I think that once you switch out some tiles. (or redo the project... tiling isn't hard, and it's kinda fun), and bring some style to the left wall, plus some fun accessories, it'll look more like your home!

And yes on the pot rack. Pot racks are awesome.

• If you use google image, and search for white kitchen cabinets (or whatever color you have in mind), you should be able to find kitchens with counters that are similar to yours, to see what they look like.
  • I hate stuff on top of cabinets. I did it in my old house b/c I felt like I needed to. (All my friends were doing it!)

But now, ick. Just more to clean. more to clutter.

Pssst. I would change the wall color before I painted the cabinets.

• The counter is granite.

I was thinking white, but it might depend on what color looked best with the granite. ?Maybe a cream or taupe instead? ?We could add some style by doing a few glass cabinet doors I guess. ?

For that blank wall, I was thinking about doing a big chalkboard/message board/display thing for art. ?Definately need something there to make it more interesting.?

• image sarahtoledo:
    image rockstarpup:

and what are you supposed to put on the top of the cabinets?  Do you just leave that empty, or do you stick decorative dishes up there?  Plants?  Pictures?

I'm totally clueless.  I've never had a kitchen of my own before, where I can do whatever I want.  The choices are overwhelming!!!!! 

Fake plants to catch the dust.  Wink

Sorry, that's just the #1 question that used to be asked when I was a regular on the Home board.   I deliberately designed my kitchen to have no space above the cabs because WTF do you put up there??  I just have really tall cabs that you need a stepstool to reach.  Good for my rarely-used pots and serving pieces. 

Maybe or seldom-used bakeware, like cast iron stuff or Le Creuset? I am like ST, I was super grateful to have the cabinets reach the ceiling.  They are glass front and we just store the things we use the least up on the top.

• I have an all-white kitchen. I don't think tan granite would look right- I would go with a warmer color like cream.  Let me try to find some pics.
  • image sarahtoledo:
       I deliberately designed my kitchen to have no space above the cabs because WTF do you put up there??  I just have really tall cabs that you need a stepstool to reach.  Good for my rarely-used pots and serving pieces. 

We actually moved our cabinets up high, and we added a shelf below them for some commonly used items.  It's easier to clean than the top of the cabinets was.  We got tired of our stuff getting dusty/grimey on top of the cabinets, and I had to climb on the counter to reach the stuff.

• Yes, I would prefer to have cabinets all the way to the ceiling, but it is what it is. ?If it were a kitchen I could design myself, it would be very different from this.

I'm not afraid of color.....but I want to wait a bit before committing to a color. ?It connects to the breakfast room and hallway to the garage, and the family room is open to it as well, so I'd have to think about how to manage that.?

• I'm with ST, I don't think the kitchen looks horrible and having gone through an entire kitchen remodel I'd be tempted to leave as much as possible. Refinishing cabinets is a PIA I think.

I'd keep the counters and redo the backsplash for an easy change--and keep the cabinets. They look like they are maple or something..why not keep it..but that's just me.  

• I would consider changing out the doors with glass fronts before painting/staining - I'm lazy that way. ?

I would also change the wall color before the cabinets - walls are easier to paint. ?Good luck!?

• Oh. I would also wait a few months before doing anything! If it were me, doing our house over again, I would have waited before just jumping right into projects. That way we could have lived in our house for a little while and gotten a better idea of what projects took priority, and what our overall point of view was for our house. It's really easy when you move in to want to go, go, go on fixing it up to be YOUR house--but if you live in it for a little while you may find that "oh, this is okay" or "no, this HAS to change," and you can pick what projects are the biggest one's in your mind.
  • image foundmylazybum:
    Oh. I would also wait a few months before doing anything! If it were me, doing our house over again, I would have waited before just jumping right into projects. That way we could have lived in our house for a little while and gotten a better idea of what projects took priority, and what our overall point of view was for our house. It's really easy when you move in to want to go, go, go on fixing it up to be YOUR house--but if you live in it for a little while you may find that "oh, this is okay" or "no, this HAS to change," and you can pick what projects are the biggest one's in your mind.

This =)