Northern California Nesties

My chicken has pneumonia.

A few days ago our chicken (we've had her for like, 3 weeks) started doing this weird thing where she opened and closed her beak a lot.  Every once in awhile, she'd make a weird barking noise and flutter around.  We emailed the girl we bought them from--she thought she might be allergic to mold spores in the pen.  We had just cleaned her pen though, so we decided to take her to the vet.  The other chicken seems fine.

I felt like an idiot taking a chicken to the vet in a cardboard box, but apparently they get a lot of chickens.  Pigs too. The vet listened to her little chicken lungs and her little chicken heart and took her little chicken temperature, and it turns out she has pneumonia.  Poor chicken.

We have to give her shots (this will be Y's job as I am freaked out by needles) for 7 days.  Apparently she is very skinny, but we didn't really hold her so we didn't know (and also we don't know much about chickens).  I feel so bad for her and guilty that we didn't know what was wrong! 

Re: My chicken has pneumonia.

• Oh no! Poor Lily!

No wonder shes not giving eggs yet...shes not feeling well. :(

• :( Poor Lily.

At least she doesn't have the throat worms? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Awww poor chicken! Glad you took her to the vet and hopefully she'll get better.
  • image stinkerpants:

I felt like an idiot taking a chicken to the vet in a cardboard box, but apparently they get a lot of chickens.  Pigs too. The vet listened to her little chicken lungs and her little chicken heart and took her little chicken temperature, and it turns out she has pneumonia.  Poor chicken.

Oh no!! I hope she gets better soon. I had to LOL at what you wrote though - you're funny.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Angel Baby - 5/22/2010 @ 13 weeks. Always in our hearts.
  • Oh man! Poor Chickie! I hope she gets better!
  • Aaw... health dust to your chicken!
  • Oh, poor thing. :-(. I am sure mommy & daddy will take good care of her.
    TTC since June 2009
    DX: MFI June 2010 & DOR Sept 2011
    Various forms of medicated cycles since June 2010
    IVF #1 tentatively scheduled for 2013
    Doing acupuncture and focus on weight loss in the meantime

S/PAIF welcome

• Awww, I love chickens! I hope she gets better soon, poor little chicken.

imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image carmeng:
    image stinkerpants:

Oh no!! I hope she gets better soon. I had to LOL at what you wrote though - you're funny.

i LOL'd at that part too.

i hope your chicken gets better!!!!!

• Oh no! Poor little chickie - I hope she is feeling better soon. Hopefully the meds perk her right up.

"And though she be but little, she is fierce."
  • Chicken pneumonia huh? Poor little thing. At least you took her in, I hope she feels better soon. I hope it's not bird flu.
  • poor little chickie.  my niece has chickens... they've only ever died of old age, so i am sure she'll be feeling better soon.
    great blasket island, co. kerry, ireland june 2011
  • Aww, poor chicken.  I hope she feels better soon :(
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Poor thing! Good that you took her in and got a diagnosis. Hope the meds fix her right up.
    imageimage
  • Aw, poor chickie.

I had ducks as a kid and we took one to the big-animal vet who had a big ol' tumor/cyst thing on her foot that made it tough to walk. The vet comes in the room, stops and says, "birds. I hate birds."

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.
  • Thanks you guys!  She seems to be gasping a little less after her first treatment so that's good.  Y went out to buy her a heating pad to keep her warm.
  • "Bok bok bok"

That's me saying "get well soon, li'l chickie" in chicken-ese.

• Oh no!! I forgot you got chickens-have she produced any eggs yet? I hope she gets better!

Learning to start all over again... Blog