Northern California Nesties

Do you (always) defrost ground turkey b4 cooking?

DH and I disagree on this, and HE asked me to ask you guys if you have thoughts about it.

I generally try to defrost ground turkey in the fridge before browning it in a skillet, BUT sometimes I forget, and I just put it in the pan, brown and scrape the brown to cook it all (does that make sense?...it's frozen solid, but you brown a side, scrape off the brown, brown what's under, etc)...my grandma used to do this with ground beef and it works, so it's what I'm used to.

DH says it tasts different than when it is browned straight from being thawed.  He prefers to microwave thaw the turkey and then brown it.

Any thoughts or opinions?  I appreciate it!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Do you (always) defrost ground turkey b4 cooking?

• We've always thawed the beef/turkey before we cook it.  Mostly becasue that's how he likes it and he cooks the raw meat...I won't touch it! I hate raw meat!
  • I've done all three methods (defrost in the fridge, brown frozen, defrost in the microwave and then cook). The meat never tasted different to me because of the defrosting method. I say do whatever works for you.
  • I always do out of habit but I dont thaw in the microwave, I usually thaw it in a bag under water.

I've never tried it the other way so i wouldnt be able to say if it tastes different. sorry :(

Susanne Ashby PhotographyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We thaw it before cooking...

If I forget to take it out, we use the microwave to defrost/thaw it...then cook.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We defrost (in the fridge) all meat before cooking. If we forget to defrost, we get take out.
  • I always thaw it before.  If I forget to take it out I throw it in the microwave on defrost before I cook it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • if you buy ground turkey in the rolls wrapped in plastic you can put it in hot water to defrost.  That is what I have been doing lately.  I put 1/4 sink full of hot water put the turkey in there for about 5-10 min and it's defrosted.

I dont taste any differnce.  I have always cooked meat just like your grandma. :)

• I usually defrost in microwave, as I dont' think ahead to take it out, but I've also been known to brown it frozen..I don't think it really tastes different... esp. if it's for like spaghetti sauce or something... ?if I'm making like meat loaf however or hamburgers I try to defrost in the fridge so that it doesn't still have any frozen chunks that wont "form" nicely, but not because of taste. ?
    IMG_1373 Cool Winston
  • I always defrost it in the fridge before cooking it, and I usually take it out and let it sit about 15 minutes so it's not so cold.  I think hygenically it's probably fine to cook it frozen, but I could see it changing the texture. 
  • I defrost it in the microwave usually, or in the fridge if I think about it early enough.

I don't like trying to cook it frozen, the amount of water that it releases bugs me--it doesn't seem to get quite as brown. 

• We usually (95%) of the time defrost it in the microwave. I never remember to take it out in time to defrost. I don't notice a taste in it at all.

• I've done all three with ground meats and I honestly can't taste the difference except when we do the micro and it sorta "cooks" when you defrost. But truthfully I wouldnt taste the difference with that one either, I just dont like how its "cooked"...hee

But w/ steaks, we do prefer to defrost in the fridge. It seems like when we do it the other ways, the steak comes out being dry (even if we try to make it medium rare).

Hope that helps. 

• I always thaw meat from freezer to fridge. If I forget (like I did the other night), there is a defroster on our microwave where I can defrost it for a bit and then cook it.

If I put it straight from freezer to cook it, it takes forever!

I really do not taste the difference either way, IMO.

TTC since June 2009
    DX: MFI June 2010 & DOR Sept 2011
    Various forms of medicated cycles since June 2010
    IVF #1 tentatively scheduled for 2013
    Doing acupuncture and focus on weight loss in the meantime

S/PAIF welcome

• image bloominautumn:
    We defrost (in the fridge) all meat before cooking. If we forget to defrost, we get take out.

ditto

• I've done all three, and honestly I CAN tell a difference after it's cooked. Maybe not so much in actual taste, but in texture for sure. I don't like the meat nearly as much if it's been defrosted in the microwave or cooked frozen. It has a more mushy texture to me and like pp said, it doesn't seem to brown as well. It might just be in my head, like I'm expecting it to be worse when I "cheat" with defrosting. Who knows!
  • I've never even though about cooking any meat frozen.  I always thaw first. 
    Andrew - Turns 3 on March 22!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image HisMrs07:

I always do out of habit but I dont thaw in the microwave, I usually thaw it in a bag under water.

I've never tried it the other way so i wouldnt be able to say if it tastes different. sorry :(

Ditto....I've always used the bag of water method.

The only time I cook meat frozen is on the Forman Grill...if we have frozen turkey burger or chicken and no time to defrost...good old George knocks the fat out and cooks it up in no time.

• Alright, great!  Thanks guys.

It honestly doesn't matter to me either way...it just kind of irks me that if we forget to take the turkey out of the freezer, DH either wants to use the micro (which I just generally HATE thawing meat in anyway) or make something else.  I can't tell a difference.  It's just one of those things we disagree on.  Now I can tell that the majority can't tell the difference, but some can, and so maybe he does.  So maybe I could be a little more sensitive to his preference.

Thank you!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • seems like it would be watery if you dont defro it first. I try to do it in the fridge overnight but if I run out of time I will do it in the micro first then brown it in the pan.