Austin Nesties

Quick fix for UTI?

I apologize if that's TMI, but I'm up MISERABLE with a UTI.  I've read conflicting info about drinking cran juice but I've probably 15 oz of cran juice already.  I've read that its only good for preventing and can make it worse if you drink it while you have a UTI and I've read that it helps while having a UTI so I'm not sure.  But please, any "quick fix" remedies to stop the pain would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Quick fix for UTI?

• I've heard that cran juice does not have enough of the natural antibiotic to really help much with a UTI.  A quick fix for pain is the AZO pills, you can get them at CVS/Walgreens/HEB. 

But go to your doc tomorrow, because the AZO pills will not cure your UTI - only antibiotics can do that.  If you don't get antibiotics you risk the infection getting into your kidneys and you certainly don't want that!

• I second the AZO Standard.  It is amazing and works quickly too!!!  A UTI has to be one of the worst feelings ever.  Hang in there! 
  • Ugh.  I'm trying to get myself to go to the store at 2am.  I found some Amoxil in my cabinet that isn't old that I took but I'm getting desperate and  I'm miserably tired so I may be getting dressed and driving to Walgreens soon.
  • I also rec the AZO pills--they were a life saver for me last year! But like pp said, they only give temp relief from the symptoms--you'll need an antibiotic to take care of the actual infection. GL--they are the worst!!
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • image Tiffany5412:
    Ugh.? I'm trying to get myself to go to the store at 2am.? I found some Amoxil in my cabinet that isn't old that I took but I'm getting desperate and? I'm miserably tired so I may be getting dressed and driving to Walgreens soon.

antibiotics aren't going to give you a "quick fix" in terms of the pain. ?AZO is basically an anesthetic that is excreted with your urine and numbs the urethra tube so you don't feel the spasms/pain. ?you can buy it at any drugstore or at walmart, target, etc. ?it will turn your urine a beautiful bright orange, but in my experience, it usually works fairly quickly (20 minutes or so). ?the quicker you take it -- i.e. the sooner you take it after noticing the symptoms -- the faster it works. ?i keep some at home, at work, in my purse, etc., because that is some bad pain! ?feel better!

?

• Be careful with the AZO pills!  I remember a Nestie, I think it may have been AustinMimi, who took them thinking she had a UTI and she had a bad kidney infection.  I don't remember the details, but I think the doctor cautioned her againts the pills.
  • image MrsRosie:
    Be careful with the AZO pills!  I remember a Nestie, I think it may have been AustinMimi, who took them thinking she had a UTI and she had a bad kidney infection.  I don't remember the details, but I think the doctor cautioned her againts the pills.

this seems to be why you should always go in to the doctor when you have a uti and not ignore it.  it might be a kidney infection.  i don't see why you would have to beware of AZO, though, unless you're using it to dull the pain and not going to the doctor... 

• I remember her saying it skewed some testing results.  Vaguely.
  • Yes, please go to your doctor. I took the Azo pills thinking I had a UTI and they completely messed up my urine tests, so I had to spend a night in the hospital with throbbing kidney pain. The ER nurses told me that Azo pills are bad news.
    Business Cat. image
  • I read somewhere that alka seltzer helps - if you google alka seltzer and UTI it will bring up a few different articles.  it's helped me in the past, but only if I take it at the very start of any symptoms.

hope you feel better soon, UTI's suck.  ;(

merry everything!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I took some pills called uricalm from HEB.  I think they were the generic of Azo. 

GL!  I feel your pain.

• I get UTIs far too often.  Its the way my insides are built.

I keep AZO with me and take it as soon as I "feel it" coming on.

Its also got to the point, where after my honeymoon - the AZO didn't do the trick so I just called my Dr.  and she called in a perscription for me.

They are miserable and I'm sorry!

• image Tiffany5412:
    I've read that its only good for preventing and can make it worse if you drink it while you have a UTI and I've read that it helps while having a UTI so I'm not sure.

My doc has always told me that drinking cran juice is only good for preventing UTI and that if you get one you should stop drinking it because it makes it worse.

Hope you get some relief soon.  Sad

• Thanks for the advice girls.  I called the UT's nurse advice line last night and she suggested AZO for the pain and said it was good that I called b/c then they will put me on a list to get squeezed in to the dr. today.  The AZO helped the pain starting this morning but not after being awake until 4:30am with pain.  I went to the dr. and she said I could take the AZO until tomorrow morning but need to stop after that so it doesn't mask the symptoms in case it doesn't get any better.  Thanks again for the advice.