Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

omg - my neighbor still has his xmas tree up

I took the dogs out one last time tonight and I noticed in one of my neighbor's windows, his tree is still up.  wtf?

anyone else read the book The Christmas Tree That Stayed Up Year-Round as a child?

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/2ih8bwm.jpg[/img]

Re: omg - my neighbor still has his xmas tree up

• Confession: Ours is still "up", de-ornamentized, in its lovely stand.. on our patio. ?DH put it out there after we took everything down and were still waiting for the neighborhood association to bring in the Christmas tree-specific dumpster. ?Well, they never did and we forgot the tree was out there, and since we hardly ever go out there ourselves in the winter it just sort of stayed up. ?It's on the small side and we have dwarfed alpine spruce's in pot containers around the tree itself, so it actually looks like it belongs... it's alive, it's thriving.

Alright, it has to come down tomorrow.?

• I know someone who left it up all year long. ?His mother kept telling him to take it out and he kept saying that he would do it later. ?It became a battle of the wills until it finally came down the next year on Christmas Eve. ?However, by Christmas Eve there were no more new trees left, so they brought the one from the previous year (that had just come down that day) back inside and used it again.
  • Confession: Our (fake one) is still up. The ornaments are off it, but I'm trying to decide if I want to try to stuff it back into the box, or figure out where I can store it still assembled so it won't need reshaping next year. In my defense, it is in the basement, so nobody but us sees it.
  • As someone who still has her outside Christmas lights up, I can't criticize this.  Plus, our tree came down very slowly in phases.  Trying to find a large chunk of time with two curious young children running around desperately trying to get into the ornaments, lights, etc, was tough, so I grabbed 5 minutes here and there and slowly removed the ornaments, then the lights, then the tree.  It took a few weeks to get it done.
  • I'm assuming he doesn't still light up his Christmas tree.....it's just still up.  There could be many reasons why it's still up.  Maybe it's because of some of the other reasons mentioned already.  Maybe he's older and can't do it himself.  Maybe he's depressed and doesn't have the desire to put it away.  Perhaps it gives him some joy to still see it up.  Who knows....  
    And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
  • I have finally convinced FI that we need to take our tree down. He just really liked it and didn't want to take it down! Now it's Feb, and it's Super Bowl Sunday, so it's something we can get accomplished while watching the game. We haven't lit it in about a week though. The ornaments are slowly falling off, knocking the 3 wise men and the shepherds out of their rightful place in the nativity. The next step is cutting it into pieces and burning it in the fireplace!
    [IMG]http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr95/shadowboxerkd/evachalk.jpg[/IMG]
  • image shadowboxerkd:
    The ornaments are slowly falling off, knocking the 3 wise men and the shepherds out of their rightful place in the nativity.

Is it wrong that I find this amusing?  LOL

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
  • image 2Vermont:
    I'm assuming he doesn't still light up his Christmas tree.....it's just still up.  There could be many reasons why it's still up.  Maybe it's because of some of the other reasons mentioned already.  Maybe he's older and can't do it himself.  Maybe he's depressed and doesn't have the desire to put it away.  Perhaps it gives him some joy to still see it up.  Who knows....  

oh no, it still has the lights on - that's how I saw it Smile  And it's just a single guy with no kids.  Maybe he likes the hoilday spirit and figures there's no one around to give him grief.

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/2ih8bwm.jpg[/img]
  • Meh... we just got around to taking ours down last weekend.
  • Technically it's still the Christmas season in the Catholic Church. ?It officially ends tomorrow with the Feast of the Presentation.