Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

?? regarding GOP platform on education

To ensure that all students will have access to the mainstream of American life, we support the English First approach and oppose divisive programs that limit students? future potential. All students must be literate in English, our common language, to participate in the promise of America.

Does anyone know more about this "English First approach"?  The way it is capitalized makes me think it is like specific theory of education.  What role do they see foreign language playing in formal education?

We support choice in education for all families, especially those with children trapped in dangerous and failing schools, whether through charter schools, vouchers or tax credits for attending faith-based or other non-public schools, or the option of home schooling.

This seems in clear contradiction to Michael Steele as he said that he does not believe in voucher use for private schools.

We renew our call for replacing ?family planning? programs for teens with increased funding for abstinence education, which teaches abstinence until marriage as the responsible and expected standard of behavior. Abstinence from sexual activity is the only protection that is 100 percent effective against out-of-wedlock pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS when transmitted sexually. We oppose school-based clinics that provide referrals, counseling, and related services for abortion and contraception. Schools should not ask children to answer offensive or intrusive personal non-academic questionnaires without parental consent. It is not the role of the teacher or school administration to recommend or require the use of psychotropic medications that must be prescribed by a physician.

I personally have an issue with part of the education platform.  Do the conservatives on the board support this part of the education platform?

Just trying to learn more.  Esp. because there is a new chairman

source

Re: ?? regarding GOP platform on education

• For EL, I am not as familiar, but did find this on it (I am about to read it myself).  I believe it has to do with trying to make people fluent in English so as to succeed in all areas of American life.  I think it needs to be clarified for I do not want total assimilation, but for schools where there is no ESL education, it may lend more $$ for training in a certain practice for teachers and allow more school success for new English speakers

http://www.edweek.org/rc/issues/english-language-learners/

Steele is very much in support of charter schools and while he has not come out and said outright he is for vouchers, I think his most recent interview stated he may be open to them as a last option or at least open to the debate (so, it seems he may have slightly altered his view on them).  The tax credit issue is something that states are starting to take up (Maryland is pushing the Boast Credit) so I think the voucher, for him, is last option so this stance may change for the RNC.

I support education where sex is talked about and where abstinence should be widely discussed as the only 100% effective method, but not abstinence only.  I am thinking this what this statement is proposing--not abstinence only, but a focus.  At least that is how I am reading it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am okay with an English First approach. I understand the desire to keep a family language alive and I support that effort. However, I do think that by allowing non english languages to be the only ones spoken/learned the children are hindered.?

I know that there are areas in the US that predominantly speak other languages, however, I am also certain that no one has been denied ?a successful career based on only speaking English in the US.?

I have always wondered if pride or the belief since English is not an official language in US gets in the way for many.

• I briefly taught 3rd grade at a bilingual school in Costa Rica.  Shortly after returning to the US I worked on a document review project which involved reading letters written by 11th grade english only caucasian students from a rural town in the US.

Those 11th graders had worse grammar, sentence structure and spelling than my little 3rd graders - and English was their second language. Instead of worrying about whether recent immigrant children are magically and instantaneously fluent (which is what English First education would require from them), why don't we work on teaching the American kids who can't even handle reading and writing their own language, let alone speak two?

Canada succeeds at Bilingual education and acheives fluency for nonnative speakers, why can't we?

• image sonrisa:

I briefly taught 3rd grade at a bilingual school in Costa Rica.? Shortly after returning to the US I worked on a document review project which involved reading letters written by 11th grade english only caucasian students from a rural town in the US.

Those 11th graders had worse grammar, sentence structure and spelling than my little 3rd graders - and English was their second language. Instead of worrying about whether recent immigrant children are magically and instantaneously fluent (which is what English First education would require from them), why don't we work on teaching the American kids who can't even handle reading and writing their own language, let alone speak two?

Canada succeeds at Bilingual education and acheives fluency for nonnative speakers, why can't we?

I agree whe need to teach American kids how to read/write English, but I don't think that was the question asked.?