Chicago Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

~MayDayGirl~

Just saw your post on 0-6 months about being a SAHM with your husband's salary. (your # to share, not mine :) )

Ummm you're my hero! I never thought that would be possible in the city.

What are your secrets? :)?

Siggy Deleted Due to Internet Stalking. Mama to Q, born July 2010

Re: ~MayDayGirl~

• ::butting in::

I can't speak for MGD, and I'm not a SAHM, but we don't don't have a huge income between the two of us, and there's a chance my job is on the cutting block, so at some point we'll be living on one salary.

No real "secrets" just smart shopping. I plan my meals around the sales for the week, coupon clip like crazy, double when I can, walk or ride my bike whenever possible to save gas, and I cut out buying starbucks coffee, etc. so I don't waste money on little things. It's amazing how much money you can save once you start shopping and spending smart.

• I'll but in too......I'm not a SAHM (we don't even have kids yet) but I married a pretty cheap guy!

He likes to tell me that each degree higher on the thermostat adds $20 to the bill. So, we keep it a little chilly (65-66) and just wear a sweater and we have fires occasionally! It's also more environmentally friendly. Same in the summer, we don't blast the air, we just dress appropriately.

Oh, and I hope your sister makes a full recovery.......I read the caring bridge page b/c I'm nosy ; )

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2qjdl03.jpg[/IMG]
  • AEG, it's in my siggy for the world to see so don't worry about being nosy. :)

I WISH I had a fire place, I'd be sitting in front of it every day. Instead I bundle up and sit under down comforters all day.

I think that we could save a lot by not eating out so much and by planning meals. Also by eating everything we buy at the grocery store. We tend to throw away half loaves of bread and lots of veggies that we buy and never eat.

Also, DH needs to start packing his lunch instead of eating out every day. Time to put my wifely foot down! Hell, I'm unemployed right now, I'll pack it for him if it will save us money!

?

And don't worry about butting in, I'm trying to perk up this board!!?

• Hey!  Well it helps we don't owe on either of our cars and my student loans are paid off.  Plus we rent (though it aint cheap!!)  And seriously we spend VERY LITTLE Money!

I spend between $50-75 every two weeks on groceries. I have to use my phone calculator to stay in the amount!  Otherwise it's impossible.

We only get a very small amount of money each month to spend and usually we use it to go on dates (movies, coffee shops). We NEVER eat out or order in... just don't have the money! Big Smile   Unless we have guests in town, but then we have to be really careful what we spend.

Being a SAHM we hardly spend any on gas. DH works 2.5 miles away and bikes half the year so we can spend $50 a month on gas.

So there's your answer! Big Smile

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • oh my DS was born on your wedding day!
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Again, you're my hero :) We need to work on the eating out thing. We drain a lot of money that way!

And Brighton picked a magical day to be born! :) Thanks for telling me!?

• I'd love a cheat sheet on how to spend so little on groceries, we tend to budget well with everything else but that. 

P.S. Just like MayDayGirl, my son was born on 11/15/08 as well and I see that two Chicago girls got married on that day as well, how neat!