Married Life

how long can you collect unemployment?

Re: how long can you collect unemployment?

• until your benefits are out

they been giving extensions so once your first claim is up she might qualify for an extension most likely she will.

• 6 months in most states.  many states are offering extensions however.
  • her job is done come February 16th and she just got back from the Social Security office. She can collect unemployment along with getting her SS benefits, but get this her monthly income from just SS is $900/month.

This is without NO insurance here.

someecards.com - You're like the Comic Sans in a world of Times New Roman.
  • I know someone that was laid off in Nov. 07 she is still on Unemployment

shes already on her third extension we live in Ca so Im not sure about the other states

• That is, if you're eligble to collect.

The only place you can find out for sure is via your state dept of labor. You have to have a certain amount of money in the system and the check that you get is based upon what money you've got in the system from 3 quarters or so ago. It's not based on what you made with your last company, unless you were there for over a year.

And this is happening more and more:

I  know someone that was laid off in Nov. 07 she is still on Unemployment

shes already on her third extension we live in Ca so Im not sure about the other states

• In AK I think it last as long as you have $$ in it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image TarponMonoxide:

That is, if you're eligble to collect.

The only place you can find out for sure is via your state dept of labor. You have to have a certain amount of money in the system and the check that you get is based upon what's in the system from 3 quarters or so ago. It's not based on what you made with your last company, unless you were there for over a year.

Thanks. I will look into that.

• She SHOULD be getting 13 weeks paid when she leaves, but they haven't voted on it yet.  She's been at this company for over 20 years.

It's just depressing in general. 

• She SHOULD be getting 13 weeks paid when she leaves, but they haven't voted on it yet.  She's been at this company for over 20 years.

Thanks

Thanks for y

Thanks for your
  • image silvahalo:

She SHOULD be getting 13 weeks paid when she leaves, but they haven't voted on it yet.  She's been at this company for over 20 years.

Thanks for your

they'll take this pay into account when they decide if she's eligible.  She likely won't get unemployment for another 13 weeks.

Also, unemployment is not based on what you pay into it - you DON'T pay into unemployment.

• image ChelleM:
    image silvahalo:

She SHOULD be getting 13 weeks paid when she leaves, but they haven't voted on it yet.  She's been at this company for over 20 years.

Thanks for your

they'll take this pay into account when they decide if she's eligible.  She likely won't get unemployment for another 13 weeks.

Also, unemployment is not based on what you pay into it - you DON'T pay into unemployment.

Thanks. I think I remember my mom saying that before re: 13 weeks pay ends, unemployment can start.

I was wondering about that second point.  I thought it was how much the state has available to offer? yes? no?

• image silvahalo:
    image ChelleM:
    image silvahalo:

Thanks for your

Thanks. I think I remember my mom saying that before re: 13 weeks pay ends, unemployment can start.

I was wondering about that second point.  I thought it was how much the state has available to offer? yes? no?

in CT, employees do not pay into unemployment.  well, they do indirectly through paying taxes.  Your mom's unemployment pay will come from the state, and also her employer.  That's why some company's fight unemployment.  But b/c your mom was laid off, she'll likely be approved.  What state are you in?

• Is she in WI too? I'm in that situation right now. I called the other day for info and if you get any kind of severance pay you have to wait for that to run out before you file your claim. I'm not sure how long it is but think it's at least 6 months, the Governor had extended it and so had the Feds. I think the max is around $360/week now. If she was working full time that's what she'll get.

Does she have insurance throught her employer? Hopefully if they do offer a severance they'll let her keep the insurance benefits for a while too, that's what my employer did. But if I took the severance in a lump sum then the benefits ended and it would be taxed higher.

Good luck to her.

Background: Dx with PCOS 11/08. IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = B/G Twins, born 8/09 at 33 weeks. TTC #3. Round 2 of Letrozole and TI. BFP Due June 7, 2013 Diagnosed with missed miscarriage 10/30/2012 at 8 1/2 wks.