Fashion & Beauty

How long does it take to let an earring hole grow closed?

I have a second hole in each ear that I had pierced when I was maybe 15. They were really infected off and on for years and even though they healed they are still really sore all the time.

I finally took one side out on saturday (the one that gets sore most frequently) and I think i'm going to let at least this one grow shut. How long will that take?

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long does it take to let an earring hole grow closed?

• I have second holes that I haven't worn earrings in in years. You can still see the hole and every once in awhile they randomly get infected.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have second holes too and haven't had an earring in them for years and yet they still get infected.  That is so strange....I seriously thought I was the only one this happened too.  Unfortunately the holes never closed though....
  • It may never completely close, and even if it mostly closes you will probably be able to see where the hole once was.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Vacation
  • I had a second hole pierced when I was 8. I wore earrings in them up until highschool and then I stopped.  I'm 27 now and they haven't closed up.

Which is good for me, because I recently discovered that wearing heavy earrings in that hole, doesn't feel like it tugs on my ear as much as the first hole.  I'm sorry to hear yours are giving you problems.

• my ears get really infected like that too. stay away from cheap earrings! i think my main allergy is nickel, so i try to buy nickel free. and i never ever sleep w/ earrings in. use alcohol to clean the posts regularly too.

as far as holes growing in. i think its different for everyone. my top holes grew in fast, but my DH had his ears pierced a long time ago. he can still put in an earring. sometimes i make him do it just to get a quick laugh!

• image KatieBride06:

my ears get really infected like that too. stay away from cheap earrings! i think my main allergy is nickel, so i try to buy nickel free. and i never ever sleep w/ earrings in. use alcohol to clean the posts regularly too.

I only wear at least 14k earrings, never anything less than that. And I haven't worn anything besides plain studs for a while now (years)... I take them all out and clean them at least once a week.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depends. Sometimes they don't close and require a minor plastic surgery to clean out the scar tissue and suture to encourage healing.
  • I've had a second hole in one ear that I haven't worn an earring in in over 15 years.  It doesn't get infected, but it hasn't closed up.  The one on the other ear did close though, but I never really put an earring in it, so it was never really used.  I don't remember how long after it closed up.  I would say maybe a year or two, but that is only a guess.

Valerie ~Charlotte Adele 4.26.05~ ~Audrey Irene 12.19.2006~
  • I have a second and third hole in my left ear that I had pierced when I was 15, I only wore the second and third earrings for about a year and a half.  I could still push an earring through those holes today and I'm 36.  I double pierced my right and left that one in only a matter of months and it has completely closed.  The second and third holes on my left ear don't get infected but every once in a while I'll feel a ball of something inside them and squeeze them to get it out.  It's definitely gross, I think its built up shampoo/conditioner and whatever may get in the holes while showering.
  • Probably never. I got 2nd holes when I was 18, I haven't worn them for years and they are still open (I'm 27).
  • Once skin is healed over, it will never grow back together.

The holes are there for good; what will happen, is if you take the earrings out, the holes will shrink to the point an earring won't fit unless you force it through (which is damaging).

The mark where the holes are will become less noticable, but won't go away. 

Photobucket
  • My ears were double pierced about 30 years ago, and I haven't worn earrings in them for about 25. They have never closed, and never become infected.
  • I had second holes pierced when I was 18. I'm 24 now. About a month before my wedding in December, I decided to try to let my 2nd holes grow up. They're completely closed now, about two months later.