Money Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How long should a toaster last?

We got ours about two years ago as a wedding gift. Today, all it does is burn toast. Even when we change the setting to 1, it burns toast...to a crisp...smoking.

Re: How long should a toaster last?

• how annoying!  I hope ours lasts longer than that.
  • My mother's toaster is 53 years old and still going strong.

Newer toasters, however, have a much shorter useful life.

• i'd say 5-7 years would be my best guess.  i'd def. expect longer than 2!
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • I would expect it to last longer than 2 years.  Mine is about 5 years old now. 
  • NSLNSL member
    Ninth Anniversary
    A lot longer than 2 years!  We've had our cheapo toaster for seven years or so and it still works great.
    28/100
    LittleL 8/10/07
    Baby E 11/27/10

Check out my makeup and reading blog:
    Books and Beauty
  • image dirtyred:

My mother's toaster is 53 years old and still going strong.

Newer toasters, however, have a much shorter useful life.

My childhood toaster oven lasted more than 20 years.  I hope my current toaster lasts half as long.  Two years is too short a lifespan for any kitchen electric.

• We got our toaster as a shower gift 2.5 years ago and it's still going strong.
  • DH brought a toaster to the marriage so I know it is over 6 years old and still going strong
  • I am really not sure, but I would think longer than 2 years.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In my personal experience, the more expensive a toaster is, the shorter the life span. My ex-H bought a toaster for about $50, maybe more, and it lasted less than a year. I went to the garage and took out the toaster that I had bought nine years earlier when I graduated from college and it is still working today.

When I moved out, I promptly went to Walmart and bought a $20 toaster. So far, so good.

• We received a toaster oven for our wedding, in July '06, and about a year ago we would have flaming bagels.  Seriously, our bagels would be on fire.  I knew it was from BB&B and our registry was still active, so I e-mailed them and and they said to bring it in for either a cash refund or a new toaster.  At the time, though, the only thing they had in the store were convection toaster ovens that were about $40-50 more than the amount of my simple toaster oven.  I took the cash and bought a simple one at Target that has served us nicely in the past year. 
  • I agree, that's an unusually short lifespan for a toaster.  I think it also depends on the brand.  If it's a cheapie, I'd sort of expect it.  If it's a Dualit, I'd be pissed! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • our last toaster lasted only 2 years.  we bought a kitchen aid which so far has made it 3.5 years.
  • My DH has had his for years and it is a cheapie.  Still lasts.
  • Toasters should last practically forever.  Make sure you unplug it while not in use though.  That will increase the lifespan and decrease the possibility of fire.
  • DH uses a toaster every day.  The one I bought him last year just died (it would make a noise that current was running even though it wasn't on).  Before that, they have lasted 3+ years.

-babs