Money Matters

How long should a toaster last?

We got ours about two years ago as a wedding gift. Today, all it does is burn toast. Even when we change the setting to 1, it burns toast...to a crisp...smoking.

Re: How long should a toaster last?

• how annoying!  I hope ours lasts longer than that.
  • My mother's toaster is 53 years old and still going strong.

Newer toasters, however, have a much shorter useful life.

• i'd say 5-7 years would be my best guess.  i'd def. expect longer than 2!
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • I would expect it to last longer than 2 years.  Mine is about 5 years old now. 
  • NSLNSL member
    Ninth Anniversary
    A lot longer than 2 years!  We've had our cheapo toaster for seven years or so and it still works great.
    28/100
    LittleL 8/10/07
    Baby E 11/27/10

Check out my makeup and reading blog:
    Books and Beauty
  • image dirtyred:

My mother's toaster is 53 years old and still going strong.

Newer toasters, however, have a much shorter useful life.

My childhood toaster oven lasted more than 20 years.  I hope my current toaster lasts half as long.  Two years is too short a lifespan for any kitchen electric.

• We got our toaster as a shower gift 2.5 years ago and it's still going strong.
  • DH brought a toaster to the marriage so I know it is over 6 years old and still going strong
  • I am really not sure, but I would think longer than 2 years.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In my personal experience, the more expensive a toaster is, the shorter the life span. My ex-H bought a toaster for about $50, maybe more, and it lasted less than a year. I went to the garage and took out the toaster that I had bought nine years earlier when I graduated from college and it is still working today.

When I moved out, I promptly went to Walmart and bought a $20 toaster. So far, so good.

• We received a toaster oven for our wedding, in July '06, and about a year ago we would have flaming bagels.  Seriously, our bagels would be on fire.  I knew it was from BB&B and our registry was still active, so I e-mailed them and and they said to bring it in for either a cash refund or a new toaster.  At the time, though, the only thing they had in the store were convection toaster ovens that were about $40-50 more than the amount of my simple toaster oven.  I took the cash and bought a simple one at Target that has served us nicely in the past year. 
  • I agree, that's an unusually short lifespan for a toaster.  I think it also depends on the brand.  If it's a cheapie, I'd sort of expect it.  If it's a Dualit, I'd be pissed! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • our last toaster lasted only 2 years.  we bought a kitchen aid which so far has made it 3.5 years.
  • My DH has had his for years and it is a cheapie.  Still lasts.
  • Toasters should last practically forever.  Make sure you unplug it while not in use though.  That will increase the lifespan and decrease the possibility of fire.
  • DH uses a toaster every day.  The one I bought him last year just died (it would make a noise that current was running even though it wasn't on).  Before that, they have lasted 3+ years.

-babs