What's Cooking?

Substitute for sweet Marsala wine?

They don't sell Marsala at my local grocery store, and I really don't want to drag my infant into a liquor store.  I do, however, want to cook veal marsala for dinner tomorrow night.  Is there any substitute?  Could I use a red table wine and just add brown sugar or something?  Any suggestions?

Re: Substitute for sweet Marsala wine?

• You can sub red wine - or if you can find Madeira or Mirin they would work also.

But I don't know if you call it veal marsala Wink

Master of Disguise
  • I would say just go to a liquor store and get the Marsala Wine. Why not? Not all of them are sketchy. You could also go to a place like Bev Mo or something if you want to take the more corporate route.
    My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!
  • Did you look near the vinegars? The first time I tried to buy it, I was looking in the wrong place. They make a marsala specifically for cooking, and it's usually near the vinegars. Holland House brand is extremely common. Of course, it's not as great as the kind from a liquor store, but it still makes a tasty dish.

If you can't find it and don't want to go to the liquor store, I would make a different kind of veal scallopine - veal picata or veal parmesan, for example. IMO, you can't really sub the marsala in a dish where that's basically the only ingredient.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

D/x with endometriosis Aug. 2011
    Expecting "Huckleberry" 8/29/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image nestinginjapan:
    I would say just go to a liquor store and get the Marsala Wine. Why not? Not all of them are sketchy. You could also go to a place like Bev Mo or something if you want to take the more corporate route.

NestinginJapan - we're a little spoiled in CA, you and I.  Not everyone has a BevMo, and in some areas of the country the liquor stores are all sketchy Wink

Master of Disguise
  • image blu-eyedwife:

image nestinginjapan:
    I would say just go to a liquor store and get the Marsala Wine. Why not? Not all of them are sketchy. You could also go to a place like Bev Mo or something if you want to take the more corporate route.

NestinginJapan - we're a little spoiled in CA, you and I.  Not everyone has a BevMo, and in some areas of the country the liquor stores are all sketchy Wink

oh well ... learn something new every day, I guess!  ;)

My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!