What's Cooking?
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Substitute for sweet Marsala wine?

They don't sell Marsala at my local grocery store, and I really don't want to drag my infant into a liquor store.  I do, however, want to cook veal marsala for dinner tomorrow night.  Is there any substitute?  Could I use a red table wine and just add brown sugar or something?  Any suggestions?

Re: Substitute for sweet Marsala wine?

• You can sub red wine - or if you can find Madeira or Mirin they would work also.

But I don't know if you call it veal marsala Wink

Master of Disguise
  • I would say just go to a liquor store and get the Marsala Wine. Why not? Not all of them are sketchy. You could also go to a place like Bev Mo or something if you want to take the more corporate route.
    My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!
  • Did you look near the vinegars? The first time I tried to buy it, I was looking in the wrong place. They make a marsala specifically for cooking, and it's usually near the vinegars. Holland House brand is extremely common. Of course, it's not as great as the kind from a liquor store, but it still makes a tasty dish.

If you can't find it and don't want to go to the liquor store, I would make a different kind of veal scallopine - veal picata or veal parmesan, for example. IMO, you can't really sub the marsala in a dish where that's basically the only ingredient.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

D/x with endometriosis Aug. 2011
    Expecting "Huckleberry" 8/29/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image nestinginjapan:
    I would say just go to a liquor store and get the Marsala Wine. Why not? Not all of them are sketchy. You could also go to a place like Bev Mo or something if you want to take the more corporate route.

NestinginJapan - we're a little spoiled in CA, you and I.  Not everyone has a BevMo, and in some areas of the country the liquor stores are all sketchy Wink

Master of Disguise
  • image blu-eyedwife:

image nestinginjapan:
    I would say just go to a liquor store and get the Marsala Wine. Why not? Not all of them are sketchy. You could also go to a place like Bev Mo or something if you want to take the more corporate route.

NestinginJapan - we're a little spoiled in CA, you and I.  Not everyone has a BevMo, and in some areas of the country the liquor stores are all sketchy Wink

oh well ... learn something new every day, I guess!  ;)

My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!