Money Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Roth IRA question

cbee817cbee817
Ancient Membership 250 Love Its 500 Comments Name Dropper
edited May 16 in Money Matters
DH and I have our Roth IRA accounts with Fidelity. Right now it's all in the Fidelity 500 Large Blend fund (FUSVX). Once we contribute for 2017, we'll have enough to divide each of our accounts between that fund, small cap (FSSVX), and mid cap (FSCKX). I'm trying to keep expense ratios low (< .1%) for the Roth IRAs. My 401k and DH's 403b have a higher expense ratio (.67% and .31%) given that they are target date funds through our employers. 
Are there any other index funds to consider or is this diverse enough for our Roth IRA accounts? TIA

Re: Roth IRA question

• labrolabro
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 16
    I have about 40% of my large cap funds in VFINX. The expense ratio is 0.14% so not sure if meets what you're looking for...but it has performed well since I bought into it.

I was looking at my other funds. The only other ultra low fund I'm invested in is NOSIX (0.10%). It generally seems to do ok, 4 stars on Morningstar. The price per share is much much lower than the Vanguard fund but I generally see more significant returns with my Vanguard so IMO that one is the better one for me so far. I haven't been in the market long enough with either of these to truly sound super educated on it but at least it's a starting point?
  • Maybe you'd want to diversify your retirement and put some with another company in the mid- and low-cap funds still with low expenses? 
  • cbee817cbee817
    Ancient Membership 250 Love Its 500 Comments Name Dropper
    edited May 23
    @MommyLiberty5013 - I'm hoping to keep everything in one spot and the fidelity index funds are comparable to vanguard. I moved the minimum amount over to the mid cap fund this week and I'll do the same for small cap when we fund our roths for 2017 in August. Hopefully that's balanced enough. Once we have extra beyond maxing 401k, 403b, Roths, emergency fund, and 529 plans, we'll probably put money into the total market index fund (FSTVX) to help build some gains on buying new cars in 12+ years.. that probably won't happen until 2020 though, but I like to plan ahead.