Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Where do you fall on the political spectrum?

The other thread got me thinking about the political spectrum.  I have never found a politician who embodies my personal political beliefs.  If you could create the perfect candidate, what would they believe?

My perfect candidate would believe like Rand Paul about the role and scope of government, with a more Republican belief about national security, but with liberal social views.  I guess that's closest to a libertarian, but my beliefs about national security are different than libertarians.  

*sigh* It annoys me that I always have to sacrifice something to vote for someone.  Such is life.

Re: Where do you fall on the political spectrum?

  • I was going to ask a similar question. I really like Obama. He's a moderate but socially liberal. I wish he had done a better job with foreign relations (been stronger and more decisive).
  • The other thread got me thinking about the political spectrum.  I have never found a politician who embodies my personal political beliefs.  If you could create the perfect candidate, what would they believe?

    My perfect candidate would believe like Rand Paul about the role and scope of government, with a more Republican belief about national security, but with liberal social views.  I guess that's closest to a libertarian, but my beliefs about national security are different than libertarians.  

    *sigh* It annoys me that I always have to sacrifice something to vote for someone.  Such is life.
    I believe this is me too.  I consider myself an independent because I always wait to see what both sides say before I vote.  I was just telling DH last night I wish guys like Rand Paul could get more of a chance at president.  Maybe I will vote 3rd party this year and write his name down.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • vlagrl29 said:



    The other thread got me thinking about the political spectrum.  I have never found a politician who embodies my personal political beliefs.  If you could create the perfect candidate, what would they believe?

    My perfect candidate would believe like Rand Paul about the role and scope of government, with a more Republican belief about national security, but with liberal social views.  I guess that's closest to a libertarian, but my beliefs about national security are different than libertarians.  

    *sigh* It annoys me that I always have to sacrifice something to vote for someone.  Such is life.

    I believe this is me too.  I consider myself an independent because I always wait to see what both sides say before I vote.  I was just telling DH last night I wish guys like Rand Paul could get more of a chance at president.  Maybe I will vote 3rd party this year and write his name down.

    I find this fascinating since you've consistently touted your appreciation for the Affordable Care Act.

    Directly from Rand Paul's website: "As your President, one of my first acts would be to repeal the abomination that is Obama Care."
    HeartlandHustle | Personal Finance and Betterment Blog  
  • I'm fairly certain that I'm the only Democrat that posts here (albeit infrequently).

    Although I don't go as far as Bernie Sanders, my views lean liberal socialist. I believe as human beings we all have a responsibility to care for each other and ensure that each other's basic human needs are met. I believe the best ways to fulfill these basic needs (such as food, safety, shelter, education and health) is through the government.
    HeartlandHustle | Personal Finance and Betterment Blog  
    short+sassy
  • The more this race goes on, the more I wish I had registered Independent. I took a quiz on Pew Research's website that labeled me as "Next Generation Left." Usually young, highly-educated individuals who vote both ways often, but tend to vote Democrat a little more than Republican. I live in an area with a high concentration of Republicans, so I think a swing a little more on the right, but there are a lot of things Democrats have to say that I really agree with.
  • Here are the presidential votes I have cast. 1992 and 1996 - H Ross Perot. 2000 - Nader. 2004 - Kerry. 2008 and 2012 - Obama. So yes I lean left and vote independent.

    Libertarian sounds good in practice, but in real life it does not work very well. Rand Paul has said he wouldn't have voted for the Civil Rights Act. He doesn't think it is right to force a business owner to serve customers they don't want to. I really don't agree with this.
  • als1982 said:

    vlagrl29 said:



    The other thread got me thinking about the political spectrum.  I have never found a politician who embodies my personal political beliefs.  If you could create the perfect candidate, what would they believe?

    My perfect candidate would believe like Rand Paul about the role and scope of government, with a more Republican belief about national security, but with liberal social views.  I guess that's closest to a libertarian, but my beliefs about national security are different than libertarians.  

    *sigh* It annoys me that I always have to sacrifice something to vote for someone.  Such is life.

    I believe this is me too.  I consider myself an independent because I always wait to see what both sides say before I vote.  I was just telling DH last night I wish guys like Rand Paul could get more of a chance at president.  Maybe I will vote 3rd party this year and write his name down.
    I find this fascinating since you've consistently touted your appreciation for the Affordable Care Act.

    Directly from Rand Paul's website: "As your President, one of my first acts would be to repeal the abomination that is Obama Care."



    Isn't that every R though? It's hard for me to 100% agree with every platform of any politician. Yes it does make me nervous about our affordable health coverage if an R gets president. I told dh we would have to hurry up and have baby 2 before they kick it to the curb. I just wish you could read a plan they have for replacing it. I haven't heard what they have in mind instead. Gawd it would suck is pre existing conditions came back. I have to admit this is why it's making me have a hard time voting R and why I'm an independent. But I don't agree with the socialist side of Bernie or the character of Hilary. See why it's so hard for me! Lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • smerka said:
    Here are the presidential votes I have cast. 1992 and 1996 - H Ross Perot. 2000 - Nader. 2004 - Kerry. 2008 and 2012 - Obama. So yes I lean left and vote independent. Libertarian sounds good in practice, but in real life it does not work very well. Rand Paul has said he wouldn't have voted for the Civil Rights Act. He doesn't think it is right to force a business owner to serve customers they don't want to. I really don't agree with this.
    Rand is not a libertarian  He has many positions that don't align with the libertarian platform.  I'd hardly take his one statement a bill from decades ago as gospel about the general philosophy.

    I've decided if it comes down to Trump or Hilary, I'm voting for Gary Johnson.  At least my conscience will be clear.
  • I think it is an excellent example. Libertarians don't want government interfering in their lives. The Civil Rights Act is one of those laws that inserts government but in a good way.
  • Well then I certainly don't agree with that.  I think the one thing that disrupts the free market from working freely is discrimination and until the discrimination is gone, the market won't work freely.
  • I am a registered Republican but only because I tend to always share the same viewpoints. If there were more candidates and statespeople that held my views or similar ones that weren't Republicans, I'd vote for them.

    I am fiscally, socially, and politically conservative. If you wanted to be "mean," I'm a person who "clings to guns and religion." I just don't think true faith is something a person does once per week or a bit sprinkled into their lives. For me, faith is a daily thing, and I identify with people who also live a daily faith walk. It's not an easy thing to do this (not trying to pat myself on the back), but it takes some sacrifice and dedication and many times it means moving against the common idealogy of the day. So, people who do this have my respect and I tend to vote for others who share my common viewpoints. I am weary of people and politicans who waiver on their views based on the most recent headline and the "ice cream flavor of the year."

  • als1982 said:
    I'm fairly certain that I'm the only Democrat that posts here (albeit infrequently). Although I don't go as far as Bernie Sanders, my views lean liberal socialist. I believe as human beings we all have a responsibility to care for each other and ensure that each other's basic human needs are met. I believe the best ways to fulfill these basic needs (such as food, safety, shelter, education and health) is through the government.

    I'm non-partisan, and have voted for both Dem/Rep candidates for various offices, but do lean Democrat for exactly the reasons you stated above.  Is government perfect or efficient?  Certainly not.  But no other organization is going to look out for its citizens to make sure kids have a hot school lunch and a free education to help them become future productive citizens.  No one should be forced to choose between their medication or keeping the lights on.

    And while, overall, the government should stay out of business and that end of economics...that is not an absolute either.  I personally feel it is at about an appropriate level.  If it wasn't for the government butting in, we'd still have 12-year-olds working in coal mines or sewing buttons on shirts all day.  While that is a bit of an extreme example, it wasn't more than a few generations ago this was happening.

    Antitrust laws are another example of government involvement that is absolutely fundamental to our society.  In fact, this is one area they have fallen down on the job in recent years and it sickens me.  For example, the cable company in my area is a monopoly.  They know that.  Charge a fortune for substandard service and treat their customers horribly.  Same with our water company...which isn't even a business, it's a public utility.  But the result is the same.  At any rate, those are just two examples of where the government has not protected its citizens from monopolistic interests.

  • I DEFINITELY lean Democratic on social issues.  That is one of the main reasons I do have such a hard time with many Republican candidates.  I'm with them and digging on their economic views and policies.  Then WHAM..."women can't get pregnant from rape", "no abortions ever...even when it is a rape victim or will kill the mother", or "no gay marriages because my church says so (um...separation of church and state? heeellloooo)"  And, even though those are Supreme Court issues anyway and so their views to a large extent don't matter, I'm now just so disgusted by them as a human being (rape/abortion) I just can't vote for them.  (Quick clarification, I'm not disgusted by people who are pro-life...though I vehemently disagree...but I am disgusted by pro-lifers who go to the extreme of expecting rape victims or women with a dangerous medical condition to go through with a pregnancy).

    Obviously not all Rep candidates are Neanderthals, but I feel like I'm constantly being shocked at how many are. 

  • I DEFINITELY lean Democratic on social issues.  That is one of the main reasons I do have such a hard time with many Republican candidates.  I'm with them and digging on their economic views and policies.  Then WHAM..."women can't get pregnant from rape", "no abortions ever...even when it is a rape victim or will kill the mother", or "no gay marriages because my church says so (um...separation of church and state? heeellloooo)"  And, even though those are Supreme Court issues anyway and so their views to a large extent don't matter, I'm now just so disgusted by them as a human being (rape/abortion) I just can't vote for them.  (Quick clarification, I'm not disgusted by people who are pro-life...though I vehemently disagree...but I am disgusted by pro-lifers who go to the extreme of expecting rape victims or women with a dangerous medical condition to go through with a pregnancy).

    Obviously not all Rep candidates are Neanderthals, but I feel like I'm constantly being shocked at how many are. 



    This is me too. I'm fiscally conservative but socially liberal. That's where I get conflicted.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards