Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need advice on what to say on a past situation

About 6 months ago my 25 year old son got fired from his job with a good company. (Same company I work for) Fortunately he got a new job quickly. I didn't tell anyone that he was fired, especially my family since I didn't want to disappoint my dad. A couple of weeks ago he was let go from his current job due to business being slow. He's been applying for new jobs and thankfully he is getting unemployment. My dilemma is: my sister and the friends that we hang out with may ask why he doesn't go back to the company he was working for (they have job openings in the same area my son worked in). 2 of our friends work at this company too, and are probably aware of the job openings. I just feel awkward if I tell them now, he was fired. Obviously they will know I kept it a secret. Any ideas on how to handle? Thank you.

Re: Need advice on what to say on a past situation

• I would just say it wasn't a good fit or that they didn't part on great terms or that he's looking to get in somewhere different to work his way up there while he's still entry-level age. I might even completely bean dip them: "I'm not sure where all he's applied, he's 25, so it's something he's figuring out on his own."

You're not obligated to share your sons business with anyone. 
    short+sassyVOR
  • edited December 2015
    Your son can tell these nosy people "I have been there and now I am looking for something a lot more challenging. It was a great company to work for but it is no longer suited to my needs."

That should be sufficient enough for this bunch.

This is the same thing he'd tell a potential employer when he is at a job interview.:)

If they persist --- he can be a bit togher than that: "Gee, Aunt Nancy, I thought we already discussed that" and with that, he can change the topic.
  • I would just say it wasn't a good fit or that they didn't part on great terms or that he's looking to get in somewhere different to work his way up there while he's still entry-level age. I might even completely bean dip them: "I'm not sure where all he's applied, he's 25, so it's something he's figuring out on his own."

You're not obligated to share your sons business with anyone. 
    100% all of this.  When it comes down to it- his being fired is none of their business.  And not YOUR business to tell them.
  • Thank you ladies for your great responses. It's nice to know that other people feel the same way when it comes to discussing family problems with other people. I am a private person and like to keep things in our home only. I don't think it's necessary to reveal every challenge you are going through. My sister is the opposite. She tells people about her issues. Last year, she was having some issues with her son. Our couple of friends that we hang out with weren't very supportive.
    TarponMonoxide