Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Menu Monday?

I haven't been on much lately. Did we decide to stop doing this?

Monday: Lentil Shepherd's Pie filling with Tater Tot topping ( I am out of potatoes, so these are going to have to count!)

Tuesday: Veggie Burgers with Mac & Cheese & Zuchinni "Fries"

Wednesday: Creamy Tomato Pasta with Garden Salad & French Bread

Thursday: Pad Thai

Friday: Probably takeout pizza

Re: Menu Monday?

• Yesterday: Red Wine Braised roast beef, mashed potatoes, veggies
    Tonight: Ground turkey stuffed peppers
    tomorrow: Brats and fries
    Wednesday: pesto chicken and bow tie pasta, salad
    Thursday: Sloppy Joes and broccoli
  • Monday- Cheeseburgers, mac-n-cheese, and tator tots

Tuesday - BLTs

Wednesday- Chicken Bake with Green beans

Thursday - Oven Fried Pork Chops, Potatoes, Salad

Friday - Out

• Interest seemed low, so I stopped posting, but I'm happy to start up again!

Monday: Stroganoff , Brussel sprouts, and fresh french bread

Tuesday: Wine night, so out

Wednesday: One Pot Chicken pasta with peppers and peas, garlic bread

Thursday: Baked Chicken Cutlets, Mixed veggies, rice

Friday: Spaghetti with meat sauce, salad
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • I really should get back to planning.  I've come to hate the whole idea of dinner and the fact that I have to make it happen every night, but maybe if it was planned and some prep was done in advance, I wouldn't feel that way.  I know this, but yet it never seems to happen because I'm the only one who thinks its an issue.  This is turning into a rant/confession/vent session.  Sorry about that, but it seems I need to get this out....

DH works pretty late every night (he gets home around bedtime - 7:00 ish), and so I'm on my own with the two kids after working all day myself, and I tend to get cranky and resentful about that fact.  When he has to pick up the kids from daycare and feed them dinner, they get fast food.  Every single time - like he can't be bothered to go home and make them something.  Even like, microwaving nuggets and throwing some carrot sticks on the plate is too much effort for him to bother.  But he rarely picks them up anyway.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to feed them real food as often as I can, and to have us actually all sit down and eat together as often as I can, so I get home with them and struggle to prep and cook something while juggling a preschooler and a baby.  Usually, I only wind up more stressed and resentful of DH for it.  I also end up stopping at the grocery store between work and picking the kids up at east once a week, sometimes twice.  That is the full extent of grocery shopping that we do. 

And I know that if meals were planned and prepped in advance it would make a HUGE difference, but I feel like I don't have the time to do that on a weekend with everything else I'm trying to juggle.  A week ago, DH decided he was going to do a bunch of cooking on the weekend.  He made scampi and onion soup.  My kids don't eat that stuff, so this was delicious for me, but phenomenally unhelpful overall.

When you ask DD what she wants to be when she grows up, she says a private chef, so she can cook the dinner for the family while the mommy and daddy play with their children.  :(
  • SusieBW said:
    I really should get back to planning.  I've come to hate the whole idea of dinner and the fact that I have to make it happen every night, but maybe if it was planned and some prep was done in advance, I wouldn't feel that way.  I know this, but yet it never seems to happen because I'm the only one who thinks its an issue.  This is turning into a rant/confession/vent session.  Sorry about that, but it seems I need to get this out....

DH works pretty late every night (he gets home around bedtime - 7:00 ish), and so I'm on my own with the two kids after working all day myself, and I tend to get cranky and resentful about that fact.  When he has to pick up the kids from daycare and feed them dinner, they get fast food.  Every single time - like he can't be bothered to go home and make them something.  Even like, microwaving nuggets and throwing some carrot sticks on the plate is too much effort for him to bother.  But he rarely picks them up anyway.

Not to stir the pot, but the above would definitely piss me off. 

Meanwhile, I'm trying to feed them real food as often as I can, and to have us actually all sit down and eat together as often as I can, so I get home with them and struggle to prep and cook something while juggling a preschooler and a baby.  Usually, I only wind up more stressed and resentful of DH for it.  I also end up stopping at the grocery store between work and picking the kids up at east once a week, sometimes twice.  That is the full extent of grocery shopping that we do. 

And I know that if meals were planned and prepped in advance it would make a HUGE difference, but I feel like I don't have the time to do that on a weekend with everything else I'm trying to juggle.  A week ago, DH decided he was going to do a bunch of cooking on the weekend.  He made scampi and onion soup.  My kids don't eat that stuff, so this was delicious for me, but phenomenally unhelpful overall. 

Have you every tried making freezer meals? This helps me a ton, when I actually do it.  I find it easier to do in the fall/winter. I don't always have time on the weekend to do a bunch of cooking, but I will try to do double batches of my normal Sunday meals. Like making a ton of spaghetti sauce and freezing half. That way I just have to boil noodles and maybe slap a salad together on the weeknight.  Last night, I had frozen lentil Shepherd's pie filling topped with tater tots, because I was too lazy to make mashed potatoes. Baked spaghetti or ziti is good frozen too.  Better yet, you could have him entertain the kids one day on the weekend while you cook some freezer meals. 

When you ask DD what she wants to be when she grows up, she says a private chef, so she can cook the dinner for the family while the mommy and daddy play with their children.  :(

What a sweetheart!  Working mommy guilt sucks. I asked DS to do something the other day and he told me he had to send some emails first. He's 4. I work from home sometimes so he has heard that before from yours truly. 

SusieBW
  • I used to cook ALL THE TIME.  I love to cook.  I used to meal plan and prep and all of that, and I liked doing it.  But DH got hurt last summer when I was super pregnant, and everything in my life got to be too much, and I've never fully recovered from that, I think.  Sometimes I feel like I have a little bit of PTSD from the whole experience. 

You're right that it's easier in the fall and winter, when the weather is not calling me to be outside enjoying it while I can.  I want to spend weekends at the beach and doing outside fun things before we are forced indoors when the snow comes. 

DH's food allergies have made it tougher, too.  Most of my go-to meals that I used to make big batches of are no longer ok.  He can't eat tomatoes, white potatoes (sweet potatoes are okay), any kind of peppers, or eggplant.  So pretty much no mexican or italian foods, and those were most of my big batch recipies and slow-cooker meals.  So half my issue is that I just don't know what to make anymore.  This allergy came to light only a couple of weeks before his injury, so it was like everything happened at once, and I've never gotten the drive to start over.

I recently bookmarked a couple of websites with prep-ahead slow cooker meals, and I want to spend a day soon making a few of those to have on hand.  But you're right, I need to send him and the children away for a day so I can make some stuff.  It would improve my state of mind and everyone in my house's quality of life tremendously. 

• SusieBW said:
    I used to cook ALL THE TIME.  I love to cook.  I used to meal plan and prep and all of that, and I liked doing it.  But DH got hurt last summer when I was super pregnant, and everything in my life got to be too much, and I've never fully recovered from that, I think.  Sometimes I feel like I have a little bit of PTSD from the whole experience. 

You're right that it's easier in the fall and winter, when the weather is not calling me to be outside enjoying it while I can.  I want to spend weekends at the beach and doing outside fun things before we are forced indoors when the snow comes. 

DH's food allergies have made it tougher, too.  Most of my go-to meals that I used to make big batches of are no longer ok.  He can't eat tomatoes, white potatoes (sweet potatoes are okay), any kind of peppers, or eggplant.  So pretty much no mexican or italian foods, and those were most of my big batch recipies and slow-cooker meals.  So half my issue is that I just don't know what to make anymore.  This allergy came to light only a couple of weeks before his injury, so it was like everything happened at once, and I've never gotten the drive to start over.

I recently bookmarked a couple of websites with prep-ahead slow cooker meals, and I want to spend a day soon making a few of those to have on hand.  But you're right, I need to send him and the children away for a day so I can make some stuff.  It would improve my state of mind and everyone in my house's quality of life tremendously. 

That would make it tough. DH bitches when I make a lot of acidic stuff because he has ridiculously bad acid reflux, but he will still eat the stuff just not too many nights in a row. I would hit up Pinterest. And maybe I am a bad wife, but I would still make stuff that the kids will eat to have on hand. 

• That would make it tough. DH bitches when I make a lot of acidic stuff because he has ridiculously bad acid reflux, but he will still eat the stuff just not too many nights in a row. I would hit up Pinterest. And maybe I am a bad wife, but I would still make stuff that the kids will eat to have on hand. 
    And I do.  I make chili for myself, and freeze it in smaller batches that I can take to work for lunch for a week.  I have tomato sauce frozen in ice cube size portions so I can make raviolis and stuff for the kids.  Did you know that processed deli turkey has potato starch in it?  I had to change which deli turkey I buy, and now the kids don't like the real sliced roasted turkey I get - only the processed kind that DH can't eat.  So sometimes I buy both, one for DH and I and the other for the kids.

Thanks for listening and helping me out.  I know what I should do to make things better in this aspect of our lives, but actually doing it is another story, I guess. 

Sorry to hijack the menu post!

• @SusieBW

No worries. Being able to talk about this kind of thing, as well as indulging in our love of books, is one of my favorite things about NBC. 

SusieBW
  • I am not cooking much this week but I do have 3 meals planned.

1.  Crab Stuffed Portabellos

2.  Pesto Shrimp Gnoochi

3.  Crispy Cauliflower and Lentil Tacos with Chipotle Cream.

90 books in 2015?