Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Darkness Unbound Discussion (sp)

The main character Risa in Darkness Unbound is a half werewolf-half Aedh. What did you think? Was the world believable? 

Of the many potential love interests, did you have a favorite? 

Will you read any more of the series?
Duxcaelo's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2011-goodreads shelf)
Anniversary

Re: Darkness Unbound Discussion (sp)

• Overall, I thought it was okay. I didn't realize that this was part of a larger world for the author. I think if I would have read some of the other books, it would have made more sense and maybe I would have liked it more and maybe the world would not have seemed quite so over the top.

I also thought the premise of the three roommates owning the fancy restaurant a bit spoiled. Okay, I can say I thought all three of them were spoiled and it irritated me a bit. It didn't seem like those characters had many flaws. They were instantly able to take on any challenge. 

The public sex club thing sort of came from nowhere; I would have liked to have seen her be intimate with a couple of characters we knew versus just adding some random dude, especially since she had been so particular about who she did or did not want to sleep with.

I think ultimately she would end up with the reaper, at least, that is how signs were pointing. His sword was cool, I would have liked back story on it, but I'm guessing that will be in later books and I don't know if it is enough to convince me to read more. 

Duxcaelo's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2011-goodreads shelf)
    Anniversary
  • edited August 2015
    I agree with everything you said. I didn't love it.

I felt like I was reading a sequel, and playing catch up the whole time, and that annoyed the hell out of me. There were so many characters and so many complicated back stories that were referenced in passing, but not explained. The world building was lacking, I guess because it's assumed that the reader has read all the previous books.

I didn't understand the species rules or the cross-breeding (half Aedh/half vampire, half shifter/half human, etc.). What was that slip about Risa's mother being a clone?

The random sci-fi bits thrown in (retina scanners/nanowires to avoid people reading your thoughts) seemed forced. Their inclusion in the story was neither required nor organic.

I don't know how I feel about Risa. Overall, I liked her and was rooting for her, but I didn't understand her role. She's a restauranteur by day and a semi-bad-ass psychic with combat training by night? She continuously said that she didn't have the training to handle this situation. I couldn't help but wonder why she kept digging in further as opposed to asking for help. If she trusts her family so much, and they are indeed capable, why didn't she involve them?

The casual sexuality took me a bit off guard. The author explained it away as a shifter thing, but it seems like all the species were sexed up. This didn't add anything to the story for me, and instead detracted from valuable time that could've been spend building characters. I feel sort of blasphemous saying this because I love a good steamy story.

I definitely thought the reaper was the most interesting character and the most promising plot line. I would only keep reading if my library started carrying these, or if they were on sale.
    imageimage

My Badges:
    image imageimageimageimageimage imageimage image image imageimage image image imageimageimageimageimage image image                       

• Sorry, I realize I went on a little tangent, but whenever I dislike a book, I find myself digesting WHAT I didn't like about it.
    imageimage

My Badges:
    image imageimageimageimageimage imageimage image image imageimage image image imageimageimageimageimage image image                       

• Have either of you read the Riley Jensen series that this is a spinoff of?  It really takes into account the casual sex and the world building that might have been lacking in this series.  The cloning thing is a HUGE part of Riley's books, so there's probably a little assumption there.

Maybe it's because I read Riley Jenson years ago, but I almost found the casual sex refreshing.  Most series seem to be about monogamy.  I certainly have no issue with that, but I feel like it gave in a little bit to the wild side that we all kind of have that might pop up if not for societal norms and other health issues involved.  I like that it broke the mold in a sense.  And if never felt crass or dirty to me.  It was treated as a part of life, I think, not a poor life choice.

I read this book a few years ago.  It was coming off the series ending of Riley Jensen, which I loved, so I didn't like it as much as I probably would of.  I really don't enjoy reading romance series about the first book's MC's kids.  It's just a little awkward, you know? I might give it another try though.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• No, I haven't read Riley Jensen. I think that would've helped a lot.

Since this is firmly in the "first book in a series" column, I feel like it's the author's job to world build, and not assume that I've read your other work.

The casual sexuality didn't bother me. I agree that it wasn't dirty, it just surprised me. Again, because there was no species explanation.
    imageimage

My Badges:

• I do agree with you that world building should happen at first in a series, but I think spinoffs are like a weird caveat.  I do remember being a bit confused with Riley Jensen at first too, so possibly it's my immersion that's throwing my perspective off a little. 

I've only read the first in Risa's series, but I would recommend trying Riley's!  I thought a lot of the science (real or fabricated) was pretty interesting on top of her fantasy world.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• What did you guys think of Risa's character?
    imageimage

My Badges:

• I thought that the world had a lot of possibilities, especially since all those sci fi-esque things were thrown about. 

I'll add Riley's series to my TBR pile. Maybe on reflection that will make this one better! Riley was Risa's adoptive aunt, right?

Anniversary
  • Could be @duxcaelo There's a lot more detail in Riley's books.  It's a little convoluted and I might be remember incorrectly.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:

• @nocturnalintimacy ;

I felt like Risa had everything handed to her. I think there's a lot more backstory that will probably be revealed later, as to why she thought her life was so difficult (outside of an absent father, not that I'm saying that isn't difficult), but she was not a character I could easily relate to, beyond, sure I'd love to be all set with a trust fund and have cool magical powers. 
    Anniversary
  • @duxcaelo

Agreed! Unless there is some major cross breed hating, it seems like her life was cake. She's pretty with a huge trust fund, a supportive extended family, a mom who adores her and strong friends. She even has a piece of a$$ at her beck and call.
    imageimage

My Badges: