Crafts
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How I Crafted Black Roses for Valentine's Day

roberrificroberrific member
edited February 2015 in Crafts
All I did was take pictures really, the guys from ToughRoof flat roofing repair in Toronto did the hard work dipping red roses in black petroleum bitumen.

But after exploring what black roses mean? on Eligible Magazine, just in time for Valentine's Day I recounted the following true story,

In the middle of January I went and bought a dozen red roses on Roncesvalles Ave in Toronto from a florist who assurred me she had no 'old roses' for sale, and that everything in stock was fresh that day.. Even still I rummaged through her offerings and picked the oldest looking roses I could find.

I kept the roses in my stove over the weekend and then took them to a ToughRoof flat roofing job sit in North York.
There I met Dave who is the foreman that operates the tar boilers - propane heated tow-behind trailers that can heat 1000 lbs of petroluem bitumen to 500 degrees and pump the liquid up 50 feet unto the waiting flat surface of a nearby industrial building .

1000 lbs of petroleum bitumen takes five hours to heat into liquid and I show up just as the bloilers were coming to temperature..
The three of us dipped four roses each and marveled at the results,
The process reminded me of how Han Solo was encapsulated in Carbonite in the Star Wars movies saga.

The rose becomes encased in solid bitumen that hardens into a floral statue with a shiny black surface which makes it difficult to photograph,

imageThe red rose on top was made by coating the flower in rubber waterproofing membrane and you can read about how Bill Korenowsky of Royal Waterproofing tried in his basement to make rubber roses for Valentine's Day on Fuel Ghoul, a Typepad blog. Original pictures and video.

So if you want black roses for Valentine's Day I recommend using petroleum bitumen cause it makes a beautiful hard shell product that is wonderfully reflective.
Happy Valentines Day!

Re: How I Crafted Black Roses for Valentine's Day