Crafts
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Quilting?

I was thinking of making a quilt for my brother and SIL for Christmas this year. Only problem is I haven't made a quilt before. I'm thinking something really simple. I'm looking for a new challenge and a new project. Can anyone recommend any good quilting tutorials or websites I should check out before I get started? 

Thanks!

Re: Quilting?

• My suggestion is to start with something like this:

http://quilting.about.com/od/blockofthemonth/ss/Center-Nine-Patch-an-Easy-Quilt-Block-Pattern.htm

Recommend that you purchase a cutting mat, quilting ruler, and roller to cut fabric - it'll make everything so much easier!

Honestly - quilts (if the pattern is fairly simple) are super easy! Cut it all up, sew it all back together. I find the hardest part is planning out the colors. :)

Good luck!
  • Thanks! I think I am making it out to be harder than it will be. I'm a worrier. =)

I was thinking I would need a cutting mat and roller cutter. What is a quilting ruler?

• check out craftsy.com and modabakeshop.com- they have some good tutorials and free patterns. A quilting ruler is usually a large clear plastic ruler with measurements on it- helps cut the fabric on the mat with your rotary cutter. 

If you go to fatquartershop.com, there are some premade bundles in fat eighth, fat quarter, jelly roll, layer cakes, etc... the fabrics bundled are usually a coordinating line and once you decide on a pattern, it usually lets you know how much fabric you need. 

Finally, if you are on instagram at all, there is a good quilting community with lots of inspiration- thimbleblossoms, redpepperquilts, sewlux, are amazing!

Good luck- quilting is a lot of fun!

• I have no advice at all as I have never quilted either!  
    But that is my next crafting venture I think, so thanks for asking this question as I'll benefit from it as well! 
    :D
    my read shelf:
    Miranda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    “Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
    "I don't much care where –"
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

• Thanks for the tips and advice! =)