Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Help, I need new recipes!

I think I've gone through just about all my recipes the past couple of weeks and I'm running out of meal ideas. My guy is REALLY picky so it adds to the difficulty but I'm open for suggestions. He will not eat any seafood and has a weird diversion to meat with fruit (ex: lemon chicken, orange beef). Bonus points for easy things that can be tossed in the oven or slow cooker! 

Re: Help, I need new recipes!

• I've had really good luck with this crock pot recipe.  Wes eats it!

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/slow-cooker-parmesan-honey-pork-roast.html
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• How about crescent roll taco pizza?? it was really simple and really good!

http://hello-homebody.com/2014/01/29/crescent-roll-taco-pizza/

my read shelf:Jess (Shepherdjel)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • A favorite at my house is Mexican Lasagna. It's easy and super tasty.

Brown ground meat. Season it however you'd like. I usually use chili powder, garlic, onions and cumin. Drain and set aside. In a saucepan, combine a large can of mild enchilada sauce and cream of mushroom soup. Whisk together and heat until they combine.

In a casserole dish, layer flour tortillas, meat, cheese, and sauce. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cut and serve like lasagna.  
    I write sexy books. I read all the books. I love dresses & macarons.

image image image 
    image image image
    LaBellaBarv66
  • Thank you these are great suggestions! I do make taco ring from time to time and it's a favorite. I like the Mexican Lasagna idea and I love me some rice so i could so a side of rice with it :)
    @SnShne322 what is your favorite side with this?

• sassypants527sassypants527 member
    Eighth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    Are you familiar with the websites www.epicurious.com and www.yummly.com ?  They are great tools for searching by main ingredients, and epicurious allows you to specify cuisine, preparation, etc.  Epicurious is my go to site for recipes.
  • @SilverGlitter05 ; Usually some sort of starch.  Baked or mashed potatoes with a salad.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• I made this on Monday night: http://thewholesomedish.com/one-pot-wonder-southwest-pasta/

Literally the easiest recipe EVER. I added in some shredded chicken I had frozen from a previous meal, so you can definitely add meat if your husband isn't a meatless meal kinda guy. It makes a ton, so it lasts for a couple days, too. 

Her other "one pot wonders" look good, too.
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • I like to make what my MIL calls "no-peek chicken"
    In a 9x13 dish, combine 3 cups of rice with 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 2 "cans" of water. Mix that all up, and pour in a packet of dry onion soup mix
    On top of that, lay down 4-6 pieces of bone-in chicken. I use thighs&legs. Pour another pack of dry onion soup mix over the chicken, cover the pan with foil, put it in the oven at 325* and let bake for 2.5 hours. Then enjoy!

It's a little more time consuming, but it's sooo good. To save time I just buy a rotisserie chicken and pull that meat off that, and I use bagged broccoli to steam. I also leave off the poppy seeds. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I have these slowcooker chicken cheesesteaks cooking now: http://foodfamilyfinds.com/slow-cooker-chicken-philly-sandwiches-recipe/

They are so good, and easy. I use the following substitution for the Dale's seasoning in the recipe:
    2 T. soy sauce
    1/2 T. honey
    1/8 t. vinegar
    pinch of ginger
    pinch of garlic powder
    ~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
    Formerly known as Christy_Daisy's_Mom
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Skeezon said:
    A favorite at my house is Mexican Lasagna. It's easy and super tasty.

Brown ground meat. Season it however you'd like. I usually use chili powder, garlic, onions and cumin. Drain and set aside. In a saucepan, combine a large can of mild enchilada sauce and cream of mushroom soup. Whisk together and heat until they combine.

In a casserole dish, layer flour tortillas, meat, cheese, and sauce. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cut and serve like lasagna.  
    I have a different version of this using salsa and sour cream but it's essentially the same.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• What about bubble pizza?  Or Pesto chicken?

• RevJen said:
    What about bubble pizza?  Or Pesto chicken?
    What is this??
  • I don't cook for picky people.  If you are picky and don't want to cook for yourself in my house, there is always plenty of peanut butter and jelly hanging around.  Or feel free to make use of the take out menus.
    I'm the total opposite.  I may be "picky", but I'm the one cooking so if you want condiments or onions and peppers, then have your own or don't complain.  It kind of goes both ways.  My DH has learned and just takes his plate back to the kitchen to add whatever he wants on top.

Having said that, OP, would your DH(?) be willing to help more in the kitchen?  I think if he cares that much he really should be involved in the process.  My sister's DH is much pickier than I am and never helps cook.  That wouldn't fly in my house.  Likewise, if DH wants something I can't stand, he cooks it himself.  Either way, on to the recipes...

How about one of these:

Mini lasagnas:

Parmesan chicken:

Avocado chicken salad, usually thrown into a tortilla:

Pesto chicken:

Roasted broccoli.  Not a main dish, but still easy and good: 

Vegan chili.  More involved, but could probably be adapted to a crockpot.  You could add meat if you wanted:  

Also, I don't have a link, but crockpot chicken tacos are a fave too.  A couple of chicken breasts, a package of Lawry's chicken taco seasoning, and a can of chicken broth for 4 hours.
    Anniversary
              40 books in 2014?

2014: 4/40

[2010: 63] [2011: 35] [2012: 23] [2013: 27]

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I've had really good luck with www.myrecipes.com - I'm always finding stuff by ingredient or time to cook that goes over well.  I'm obviously a sucker because I routinely make 2 or 3 meals for dinner every day, so I empathize with you for cooking for picky people. 
  • RevJen said:
    What is this??
    It was a recipe I found on Pinterest that came out good.  But I can't find it now so I'll have to dig through there and see if I can find the closest thing to it for you.

It's basically biscuits, pizza sauce, toppings, cheese and you bake it.  But I don't remember for how long.

• RevJen said:
    RevJen said:
    What is this??
    It was a recipe I found on Pinterest that came out good.  But I can't find it now so I'll have to dig through there and see if I can find the closest thing to it for you.

It's basically biscuits, pizza sauce, toppings, cheese and you bake it.  But I don't remember for how long.
    Ah, gotcha.  Think I'll pass.  Not a fan of premade biscuits.
  • Make your own but don't bake them right away.  Chop it up into pieces.