Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My husband is in the process of enlisting into the ARMY..... What to expect?

Dangreg93Dangreg93 member
First Anniversary
edited January 2014 in Military Nesties
Hello! I could use some advise from experienced army wives. My husband and I are 20 about to turn 21 over summer... just got married 3 months ago and my husband has decided to enlist in the army. He really wants to go active but because of me he is considering doing reserve... I want to be supportive and let him do what he really wants but at the same time I'm scared he will get deployed and who knows when will happen to him. Plus we have no children so I will be living alone. I know its a great opportunity for him and our future family Im just scared.  What should I do? what are pros and cons? what should i expect? 

Thanks for taking the time to read this :) 
I appreciate any comments. 

Re: My husband is in the process of enlisting into the ARMY..... What to expect?

• Hi!  I cannot comment much about the Army aspect of things, but I do know what it's like to be a military wife. My husband is a surface warfare officer in the Navy. We've been together for 6 years, through 3 deployments and are currently on our 4th tour (and 4th location). I live across the country from my family and every couple of years I start over in a new location with no family or friends. Our last tour, we moved there and 2 weeks later he was deployed and I was completely alone. Here are the pros and cons in my view:

Pros: We have financial security for the rest of our lives (he plans to retire in the Navy), we get to travel and see so many different parts of the country (and world if we ever leave the US), I meet so many new people that I never would have met otherwise, and an important one, you really learn to appreciate each other more than ever. 
    Cons: It will never get easier saying goodbye, but you learn better ways to cope with it, my career is on hold indefinitely (it's hard to get hired when you move so much), you will be alone a lot of the time, it puts a lot of extra strain on your relationship. 

There is no doubt that a military relationship takes (in my opinion) more effort, especially when you are separated from each other. I never thought I could do it but I've grown much stronger and learned a lot about myself. It's hard but if you are both 100% committed you can make it work.
    Dangreg93
  • Hi, I'm Army and MH is a Marine. Reserve does not mean no deployments, for the record. This is a decision you need to make as a couple, but I will say that I would not have been happy, in life or my marriage if I had not joined. 

Good luck. 
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.