Getting Pregnant

Extreme Cheapskates?

I am flipping through the tv directory and came across this show....the promo for the next episode shows a husband and wife sharing the same piece of dental floss? Blech! Excuse me while I go vomit now lol

Re: Extreme Cheapskates?

• I saw the floss on a commercial the other day and nearly threw up in my mouth. Thst was rank!

I can't watch it.
    Eating Chocolate Bunny
    TTC since Dec. 2009. TTC buddies with Cinco and Faheat.
  • Yea...probably better that you don't. These people are so cheap that they plan on being buried together - as in, in the same coffin. Don't ask smh
  • I saw that too. I was so grossed out.

TTC #1 since 9/12
  • The next one is funny...this lady saves money on her electric bill by doing everything after midnight. She's out there trimming hedges at like 1am lol
  • I got wrapped into it tonight. Only because it was the episode where they tried to do a wedding as cheap as possible.  They asked the baker for her dummy cake instead of a real one, and asked their guests to BYOB and a dish to pass. It was weird.

TTC since 4/13  DX:PCOS 5/13 (long, anovulatory cycles)
    Missed M/C - 7/12
    Clomid 50mg 9/13 = BFP! EDD 6/7/14 M/C 5w6d Found 11/4/13
    1/14 PCOS / Gluten Free Diet to hopefully regulate my system.  Chemical Pregnancy 03/14
    Surprise BFP 6/14, Beta #1: 126 Beta #2: 340  Stick baby, stick! EDD 2/17/15 www.5yearstonever.blogspot.com
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Uh, I flipped to it tonight and this lady was dumpster diving behind a grocery store for food for dinner.  I was eating my own dinner, so I promptly turned the channel so I could finish.  Bleh.
    Our last sunset in Hawaii...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
  • No. To all of them. The show makes me uncomfortable.
  • brij2006 said:
    I got wrapped into it tonight. Only because it was the episode where they tried to do a wedding as cheap as possible.  They asked the baker for her dummy cake instead of a real one, and asked their guests to BYOB and a dish to pass. It was weird.

That's the way my ILs do weddings. It's usually a covered dish...everyone bring something to share. When we were planning our wedding, I was really surprised because I never heard of that in my whole life.

I saw the commercial for this show. I know some cheapskates but not to that extreme!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC #1 since July 2012

Cycles 1-9: BFN
    Cycle 10: Surprise BFP on 10/17/2013!
    EDD: June 25, 2014
    Baby Girl born via induction June 26, 2014

My TTC Journey Blog

• brij2006 said:
    I got wrapped into it tonight. Only because it was the episode where they tried to do a wedding as cheap as possible.  They asked the baker for her dummy cake instead of a real one, and asked their guests to BYOB and a dish to pass. It was weird.
    Has anybody ever saved money using a dummy cake?  We wanted additional layers on our cake, but didn't actually need more cake.  Dummy tiers would have cost us the same as real cake, so we just ended up getting cake.  At least we could eat that.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • No. To all of them. The show makes me uncomfortable.

Me too. Watching people barter gives me anxiety.
    image image image Anniversary
  • brij2006 said:

I saw this one too...I felt so bad for the daughter - I would be mortified if my mother did this for my wedding. But then again, if you don't like it, then get a job and pay for it yourself so you can have the wedding you want to have.
  • So, I've seen the show a few times... what can I say? It's a train wreck that I just have to watch sometimes!  There's one where the husband give his wife an anniversary gift, which consists of things he found in dumpsters and on the side of the road. Nice. They go out to eat for dinner and he asks for a takeout box so he can go around to other tables and ask for THEIR leftovers. EW!  There's also a woman who pees in a jar instead of the toilet to save water. I think she pours it in her garden or something. ICK! And I've seen a few where people shower with their clothes on so they can wash their clothes at the same time as their bodies. 

I understand being frugal, I really do. And if you're in dire straights some things may be necessary.  But some of these people are pretty well off (probably because they're so cheap) and they'll never get to enjoy all the money they've saved because they're too busy saving it.  For what???
    imageimage
  • I watched this last night too.  The lady trimming the tree and vacuuming at night made me laugh.  Her poor husband and son!
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ~TTC Buddies with akcrrr and amandaf6383~
    ~Knottie/Nestie Besties with *ecinereb* - Congratulations!~
    TTC since June 2011 dx: PCOS
    Clomid+IUI: Cancelled b/c didn't respond (June 2012)
    Femara+Trigger+IUI #1: BFN :-( (July 2013)
    Natural Cycle (8/7/13)- BFP!  Beta #1 (9/10/13): 509 Progesterone: 18.64  Beta #2 (9/12/13): 1118
    Baby N born 5/9/14
  • I watched this last night too.  The lady trimming the tree and vacuuming at night made me laugh.  Her poor husband and son!
    This one made me laugh too. Honestly, as horrified as I was by some of the things these people do to save money, I couldn't stop watching it. Because I just wanted to see how far they would really go to save money. I'm all for cutting costs too, but there are just some things that really go above and beyond. I feel sorry for anyone married to someone that is this cheap.
  • These people are hoarders, but with money instead of shoes or newspapers. They have a pathological drive to hoard that those who do not can't understand. It can manifest after traumatic loss and sometimes it's related to OCD. Sometimes it just happens, and the trigger is unknown.

I have compassion for these people, but I cannot watch the show. Just like Intervention and Hoarders, these shows profit off the mental illness of others. I can't support that.
    image image image Anniversary
  • These people are hoarders, but with money instead of shoes or newspapers. They have a pathological drive to hoard that those who do not can't understand. It can manifest after traumatic loss and sometimes it's related to OCD. Sometimes it just happens, and the trigger is unknown. I have compassion for these people, but I cannot watch the show. Just like Intervention and Hoarders, these shows profit off the mental illness of others. I can't support that.
    I never really thought of it that way, but that is a good point. Honestly, I hate TLC because the programming is seriously garbage...I just couldn't help myself last night when I was flipping through and saw the show, then got sucked in. But you are right - it's almost as if nothing is off limits anymore. TLC isn't the only network doing this either, but they are definitely the worst.