Nest Book Club

The Dream Thieves (SPOILERS)

Um...Ronan is gay?!

So I was reading through the comments on FYA's review tonight, and people started talking about all of these hints that Ronan is gay and in love with Adam: http://foreveryoungadult.com/2013/09/27/the-dream-thieves/

And now I'm thinking about it and OMG THEY ARE SO RIGHT. I think I was just so excited about the book and I devoured it so quickly that I didn't stop and catch all the subtle clues. But YES. They are there. THEY ARE SO THERE. 

And then it reminded me of this that Maggie Stiefvater tweeted this morning when she was watching Supernatural for the first time:

And at the time I was like, HUH. Ok. 

BUT NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE, YOU GUYS. OMG. 

So, am I the only one who totally missed this?

(And now I want to go back and read both books again NOW)
imageimage

Re: The Dream Thieves (SPOILERS)

• OMG, you guys. I feel like an idiot. I need to slow down when I read because I'm missing all kinds of awesomeness when I am speeding through a book. This makes me love it all even more!

I know what you are, Kavinsky had said.
    "That's not enough," Ronan replied.
    "Don't say Dick Gansey, man. Do not say it. He is never going to be with you. And don't tell me you don't swing that way, man. I'm in your head."
    "That's not what Gansey is to me," Ronan said.
    "You didn't say you don't swing that way."
    Ronan was silent. Thunder growled under his feet. "No, I didn't."
    (Ronan never lies, you know.)

Adam looked up at Ronan. "I know it was you," he said. "I figured it out. The rent."
    He held Ronan's gaze for just a moment longer, until something inside Ronan unwound and he almost said something. 

Ronan's second secret (The second is a harder kind of secret: one you keep from yourself. Every day, thousands of confessions are kept from their would-be confessors, none of these people knowing that their never-admitted secrets all boil down to the same three words: I am afraid) was Adam Parrish....It was hard not to stare at the off and elegant lines of his face....He glanced at Ronan, eyebrows furrowed, as if sensing Ronan's eyes on him. 
    Ronan looked away.

And this only makes me want to hug/slap/make out with him even more.
    imageimage

• Young_LoveYoung_Love
    Ninth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited September 2013
    OMG THE DREAM RONAN HAS ABOUT ADAM WHERE HE TOUCHES HIS TATTOO AND TALKS IN LATIN AND RONAN WAKES UP ASHAMED. 

Yes, I am talking to myself on the nest at 1am while I poke through the book on my phone and look up latin phrases online. 

"I know what this is"
    "I know what you are"

ETA: My bad...he wakes up ashamed and EUPHORIC
    imageimage

• I listened to the book and did catch it. But it took me by surprise. As soon as I was done I wanted to go back and read both books again to see if I missed it in the first one.
  • I CANT BELIEVE YOU DIDNT CATCH THAT. I was only so-so on TDT, but this is one of my favorite parts. It's so raw and, gah! Ronan!

Kavinsky wanted Ronan...so, so bad, IMO.
    Sammie born 04/23/09! Peanut allergy/Avoiding Tree Nutsimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2013 Books Read: 90 * 2012 Books Read: 125 * 2011 Books Read: 150 * 2010 Books Read: 117

Jennie Writes Words ~~~ We Still Read

Jen748's
  • I caught the conversation with kravinsky, but missed him and Adam. How perfect and tragic. I wonder how that's going play out in the next book. GAH! I can't wait!
    100 books in 2014?
    2013 Books Read 73/52
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Jen748 said:
    I CANT BELIEVE YOU DIDNT CATCH THAT. I was only so-so on TDT, but this is one of my favorite parts. It's so raw and, gah! Ronan! Kavinsky wanted Ronan...so, so bad, IMO.
    This is what I get for reading fast when I'm flying home from Europe all exhausted. Dang.

I definitely got that vibe from Kavinsky - that he wanted Ronan bad. And I remember that convo between them, when he asks about Gansey and Ronan says it's not like that with him. I guess I just didn't even catch that Ronan never denies having those feelings for anyone. Ronan just seemed very asexual to me through both books...I did notice he never had girls around, really talked about girls, etc. 

But now, it's like...OH. Ronan's the one who beat up Adam's dad. Ronan's the one who paid Adam's rent. (And went to great lengths to do so.) Ronan doesn't really warm to Blue all that much. 

I said when I read The Raven Boys that I trusted Maggie Stiefvater not to give us a typical love triangle between Gansey-Blue-Adam. Looks like my trust was placed correctly. Yowza...I can't wait to see how this plays out. 

And, wow, what another fascinating layer to Ronan's personality. Gah. Love.
    imageimage

• Jen748 said:
    I CANT BELIEVE YOU DIDNT CATCH THAT. I was only so-so on TDT, but this is one of my favorite parts. It's so raw and, gah! Ronan! Kavinsky wanted Ronan...so, so bad, IMO.
    This is what I get for reading fast when I'm flying home from Europe all exhausted. Dang.

I definitely got that vibe from Kavinsky - that he wanted Ronan bad. And I remember that convo between them, when he asks about Gansey and Ronan says it's not like that with him. I guess I just didn't even catch that Ronan never denies having those feelings for anyone. Ronan just seemed very asexual to me through both books...I did notice he never had girls around, really talked about girls, etc. 

But now, it's like...OH. Ronan's the one who beat up Adam's dad. Ronan's the one who paid Adam's rent. (And went to great lengths to do so.) Ronan doesn't really warm to Blue all that much. 

I said when I read The Raven Boys that I trusted Maggie Stiefvater not to give us a typical love triangle between Gansey-Blue-Adam. Looks like my trust was placed correctly. Yowza...I can't wait to see how this plays out. 

And, wow, what another fascinating layer to Ronan's personality. Gah. Love.
    I feel like it totally went over my head in TRB but there were definitely some moments between Kavinsky and Ronan that had me raising my eyebrow. While I DID pick up on Ronan never replying to him at that one scene, it didn't really hit me that he was gay until Maggie sent that tweet yesterday that you linked to about Dean and Ronan because then she sent another tweet that mentioned their shipping name of Dronan.

Talk about a relationship square. Now I'm REALLY curious as to how the next book is going to go.
  • edited October 2013
    OMG. I had to stop the audiobook and re-listen, because I was like "surely, I heard that wrong."
    I sort of love that Ronan is gay.

Also, WTF is up with Kavinsky killing himself?????

@Young_Love
    imageimage
    2014 Read so far: 51/52

My Badges:
    imageimageimage  image image image image image image image imageimage imageimage image image image image image