Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

how to have a fun New Year's in?

DH & I (and possibly another couple) won't do much this New Years.  What can we do to make it fun and special?  what can I make for dinner (I'm a newbie cook), and what can we do besides watch the specials on tv?  we're not sipping martinis type, more the casual type.  or a special dinner at a restaurant (chicago or western burbs)?  a show downtown (chicago)?  please send me some suggestions, thanks :)

Re: how to have a fun New Year's in?

• Now that DH and I have a kid, we don't go out anymore. Instead we decided to try to make it special by staying in. Our favorite thing about new years eve was the drinks and the food, so now we don't have dinner that night instead we make up a whole bunch of ?appetizers and mixed drinks then watch a movie that we've wanted to see. It sounds boring to most but we love it.?

?

• My husband and I have had friends over for the past few New Years and we and our guests have had a blast.  Last year we played board games and just had apitizer type snacks.   Another thing I've done is do a movie marathon. One year we did a Silence of the Lamb Marathon and watched all 3 movies in order. 

If you want do to a dinner, I'd do something simple and low stress.  You don't want to spend hours in the kitchen and be tired for the party.  Kraft.com has a lot of easy recipies. 

• We are having a few people over this year and just doing finger foods.  I'm making sliders (mini burgers) and a few other app type things...

If it's just you and another couple I would go with a theme like mexican or chinese and make a few key dishes.  You can have drinks that go with the theme and maybe play a few boardgames. 

• Last year DH and I did pizza and wine. The wine got us seriously buzzed. We danced half the night in our living room, and then fell asleep on the floor.

For a casual meal you could do something like chicken wings, pulled pork or beef sandwiches with a side of salad and scallopped potatoes.  Have some beer or wine.  Or just appetizers and dessert type of dishes.

• order chinese (or take out of choice) play board games, rent movies.  Almost missed the ball drop last year because we were so preoccupied
  • We've stayed in and done board games & movies before, we love low key evenings like that.

One year a friend of mine hosted a "disaster preparedness" party.  We all brought various supplies for a disaster kit - crank flashlight, canned food, bottled water, backpacks, etc - and then assembled the kits together, and had a meal of the canned foods that didn't fit in the kits. :)   I thought it was a pretty fun & unique idea!

• H and I always stay in.  We have a private fondue party (oil fondue with everything from shrimp to mushrooms) and play board games. 
  • Last year we had pizza, wings and finger foods and played Wii all night....this year we will be playing guitar hero and rock band...but we do watch the ball drop and light fireworks....