Money Matters

Gender neutral gift for $25? Ideas?

So I have a family Hannukah gift grab next week, and we're all bringing a gender neutral gift for $25. I was thinking a gift card would be the easy thing (B&N, Target, Best Buy), but is that just a cop out?

Thoughts?

Even the upper crust can make a typeos.

Re: Gender neutral gift for $25? Ideas?

• My first thought was gift card to a movie theatre.
  • How about a coffee mug, with a Starbucks GC?
    Calendar (Dilbert is always fun).
    You can never go wrong with GC
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't like gift cards. That's just me. I like them more for restaurants or movies than just for stuff.

Is it all adults? I like alcohol if it is - wine, yummy liqueurs.

Board games are also about $25.

• How about a CD?  scarf and glove set?  nice pen set?  stationary set?  post it pad gift pack (I haven't seen one, but you could buy multi color and diff size post its)?  very popular around here- sigg water bottle?  lotto tickets- that could be fun?  Personally, I like the game idea.
  • What about a game? Catch Phrase (electronic version), Battle of the Sexes, Apples to Apples, Trivial Pursuit, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • board games, movie tickets, Target giftcard
    Married 6/15/2007

J born 4/11/2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Apples to Apples.  It's a fun game.
  • Cranium and Boxers or Briefs are also good board games.
  • Apples to Apples is very fun, but I don't know if this crowd is the board-game type. What if my 85-year old great aunt pulled this one? She wouldn't know what the heck to do with it!

Even the upper crust can make a typeos.
  • Our office just had a white elephant gift exchange, and our limit was $10.

Here were a few of my favorites:

Sparkling juice and wine glasses (I found the wine glasses at the dollar store)

Candy and puzzle books (our office is boring sometimes)

insulated travel mug

gift cards wrapped in such a way that you can't tell what they are until you open it.

Sorry, but gift cards are boring when you don't know who will recieve it. I say, if you do give one, do like my coworker did. Put it in a box, wrap it three times with magazine paper, and stick other random, stupid cards in there... like your business cards, punch cards (buy ten get one free deals) etc.

We were laughing so hard when the recipient tore open three layers of sports illustrated before she got to a pile of random cards. Eventually, she found the gift card in the stack, but it was hilarious to watch her face when she was looking for it.

• Our city (Austin) has a local calendar with tons of local events and cool pictures around town.  It was only $15 and I'm using it for unexpected gifts I need to give at the last minute.  Maybe your city has something similar. 
  • Godiva chocolate covered pretzels in a very nice tin can = $22
  • If you are a member of Costco, they have a Starbuck's gift basket.  It's ultra nice and I see people picking up tons of them as gifts!  They are $19.95 but look like they are worth a lot more.  The gift basket also includes a voucher for a free starbucks coffee. 
  • What about a Hannukah decoration?  I'm doing a Christmas ornament for my in-laws' exchange.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Jim & Kristen ~ August 19, 2006
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you're going with a board game, Loaded Questions is really really fun.

I would get one of those plastic or cardboard popcorn containers and make an arrangement inside of it including a movie rental store gc, a few bags of microwave popcorn, and a few boxes of candy.

• Loaded Questions or Apples to Apples with a gift receipt just in case they already have it.