Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Standard Poodle and snowy/cold climates?

We would like to get a dog in the future and a Standard Poodle is on our list.  I have read differing info on how often they need to be exercised.  We live in a snowy climate were there is snow on the ground most of the winter and can get quite cold outside (well below freezing some days.)  I am kind of nervous about walking and exercising a Standard Poodle in this type of weather as they don't have an undercoat.  Would a sweater/boots be enough?  I am not sure if a different breed would be better suited for us.

Maybe I am totally overthinking this whole thing=P

Thank you=)

Re: Standard Poodle and snowy/cold climates?

• I don't have any poodle experience, but good for you for making sure a dog you are interested in suits your climate and lifestyle FIRST!
  • Overthinking. Smile

My sister has a Standard Poodle, I have a Portuguese Water Dog (similar to a poodle) and we live in WI.  They do just fine in the cold - no sweater, no boots for either of them.

The only thing we really do differently is we let his coat stay a little longer - which means more frequent grooming or he'll mat - but other than that we've never had a problem. In fact they love this weather, being able to play in the snow and the cold.  It's us weak humans who have the most issues. Big Smile

• Poodles are hunting dogs (standard poodles, anyway) - we have a few in our obedience class and they never seem to be cold. Their owner lets them go au natural this time of year, though - she doesn't give them the poodle cut.

It might work if you got the dog a coat, but honestly, I think it should be fine. It it turns out to be anything like my hunting dogs, it will LOVE the cold weather.

(Also, FYI - I lurve standard poodles. They are so pretty - and if you are going to hunt with it, that's even cooler. There's nothing as neat as watching a poodle jump into a lake after a duck). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'll just assume that everyone else is right on the weather thing.  I just want to say that I love Standard Poodles! 
    April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image
  • My SIL has a standard poodle in northern MN, and I don't believe they ever put anything on him like a sweater or anything.

Actually, standard poodles are used for hunting a lot in some colder areas, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Edited to add: just realized that a PP mentioned the hunting thing. LOL