Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Where do you find your babysitters?

I have tried craigslist, but only gotten a couple reasonable responses.  I'd love to find a highschool or younge college person (guy or girl) to watch my kiddos about 2 nights per month.  Anyone have any connections?

I don't want to steal your sitter list, just need some ideas.  (Though, I'd love to steal someone's wonderful sitter if you don't need them anymore.) Wink

PS I'm not into background checks or services or anything, just want to meet and chat with the sitter and maybe their parents if they are younger.

The Big Sky Country Welcomes Us Home!

Re: Where do you find your babysitters?

• In my classroom. Smile

If you lived closer, I could help you out.  Maybe schoolsout knows some kids? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yes,I'm smiling...I'm a marathoner!
    Bloggy McBloggerson
    CO Nestie Award Winner-Prettiest Brain-Back to Back!
    2011 Bests
    5K-22:49 10K-47:38 Half Mary-1:51:50
    2012 Race Report
    1/1-New Year's 5K-22:11
    2/11-Sweetheart Classic 4-mile-29:49
    3/24-Coulee Chase 5K-21:40
    5/6-Colorado Marathon-4:08:30
    5/28-Bolder Boulder 10K
  • Um, I will be stalking this post for responses!

The current setup we have is with another family who has a boy DS's age - we swap two nights a month, so we each get one date night.

However I don't think that will work when we have two, so I'd love to find a sitter...

• Since we just moved here, we had to start from scratch.  We've had great luck with sittercity.com.  Our cleaners recommended them (she used to be a nanny). HTH!
  • Well...I just re-read my post and it is typo central.  I guess I really do need a sitter b/c typing with a 2 month old on your lap while playing with a 2 year old isn't helping my communication skills.  :)

Taratu...I see that I need a high school teacher as a friend.  Have any buddies in NW Denver or Wheat Ridge that want some friends?

• Fortunately we have family - so my 14 and 17 yr old cousins babysit for me sometimes or my aunt and uncle.  Otherwise are you a member Highland Mommies?  I think they have some good resources.
  • image MTbridess:

Well...I just re-read my post and it is typo central.  I guess I really do need a sitter b/c typing with a 2 month old on your lap while playing with a 2 year old isn't helping my communication skills.  :)

Taratu...I see that I need a high school teacher as a friend.  Have any buddies in NW Denver or Wheat Ridge that want some friends?

My students are all super far.  I don't let them babysit until I'm done being their teacher, though.  Just too weird for me for some reason.  I have lots of students that would be great if you were in SE Aurora.

My co-worker has a HS age daughter who babysits. We've used her. My neighbor is 14, so I'm going to hit her up soon.  At this point, we mostly use my Mom b/c she loves it, knows Owen and is free :)

• I doubt I'll be much help, but we use either my SIL or my DH's niece who's a college student majoring in elementary education so she's absolutely awesome with kids (and she actually enforces rules and light discipline as necessary which rocks in my book.)
  • My daughter and her friends and their older sisters.  DD actually babysat C for the first time last week.
  • We found them through DD's daycare.  The teachers moonlight as babysitters and we have several that we use.  Maybe ask some of the daycare moms in your area if any teachers at their daycares babysit.  Some of the assistants or afternoon help are HS or college kids.  I tend to pay a bit more for the FT asst teacher we normally use but she's also fully trained.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• My best friend lives in NW Denver and she is always looking for babysitting jobs.  She is currently interning to become a teacher and could use the cash.  Let me know if you want her number and I will PM it to you.  :)
  • what are those? 

I'm struggling too, DH and I haven't had date night since Septemeber- that would be when my parents were in town for Tessa's birthday... 

• Thanks ladies...I'm realizing that the world of an $8 sitter to watch two kids is probably out of touch a little.  I'm looking into a couple of these new options though.  The biggest bummer has been that my family hasn't been too keen on moving down here for the sole benefit of getting to watch my kids for free. 
  • We use my sister or MH best friend most of the time, but when they are busy we are screwed.

Sounds like we need to set up a mom swap thing. LIke you leave your kids at home and go to the other persons house to watch their kids and in return they do the same for you. I think we have a lot of people on this board with no family here who could benefit from that. I know I could :)