Pets

Help - cat scratched my dog's eye

My cat and dog love to chase each other around the house... well they got too rough this time and my poor dog got scratched right on the eyeball : (  I can see a faint line towards the edge of his eye - it curves in from the white part of his eye into the brown a little.

Should we make a call to the e-vet? Self treat? Any suggestions would be great.

TIA!

Re: Help - cat scratched my dog's eye

• e-vet.  Don't mess around with eye issues.
    Love.
  • I would call the e-vet and see what they suggest. Eyes are something I wouldn't play around with! You wouldn't want to risk it getting infected.
  • image js527:
    e-vet.  Don't mess around with eye issues.

ditto

• Okay - I just put a call in to the e-vet... hoping to hear back soon (they have a message center). Thanks for the quick advice everyone!

• I have a one-eyed dog, you want to get your dog to the emergency vet ASAP -- it may be minor, but it needs treatment right away, and if you can see a scratch, I'm afraid it might not be minor.

Eyes can certainly heal, don't panic, but don't delay.?

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

TTC #1 @ 38, Dx: ovulation issues
    15 treatment cycles: c/p 4/11, m/c 12/11 (6w), possible ectopic + MTX 4/12 (7w)
    Another c/p in 12/12

Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

• ditto everyone. I hope the evet calls you back soon. Our smallest has had an infection with an unknown cause and we've probably spend around $1k so far trying to treat it.
    Move along, nothing to see here.....
  • Please keep us updated! ?

Another c/p in 12/12

• The e-vet called and suggested we bring him in. We just got back - the scratch was pretty deep, but it looks like the cornea was spared. The vet gave us some special eye drops that should keep any infections away.

All in all - I'm glad we brought him in (even though the bill was pretty steep)! Thanks for all of your help - I feel better knowing that I wasn't over-reacting :)

• That's great news! ?Be sure to watch it closely, inspect the eye and the white part around the eye every day. ?It's rare, but scratches (aka ulcers) like this can become melting ulcers and that's how my pooch lost his eye. ?

If you see any redness, or rubbing, or irritation, get him to the vet right away. ?They have stronger antibiotics, and other meds that can help you save the eye. hth!

Edited to add: watch for squinting, cloudiness of the injured eye, or irregularities in the surface of the eye (like bumps or divots).?

Another c/p in 12/12

• Thanks sarahtoledo! I'm usually a lurker, but I remember Benny's story... poor guy : ( That's one of the reasons I decided to bring Oliver in. Thank you for sharing your experience - it really is very helpful!
  • And by the way - I'm ordering some Soft Paws for my evil little cat tonight too!!