Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Big XII Championship = Crock of Sh!t

We beat Missouri AND OU, but we aren't going because some idiots voted OU ahead of us.

I know how it works, 3 way tie, higher ranking team goes.  But that's subjective and crappy because we beat OU.  Tech beat us in the last seconds on their home field...yet we beat OU solidly on a neutral field.  then OU killed them at home.  It's stupid and I hate the BCS system because Texas always gets screwed.  (And I want to use a worse word there...)

I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained

Re: Big XII Championship = Crock of Sh!t

• AfuckingMEN
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • What I want to know is why it's necessary to sent a craptastic North division team when its obvious that the top 2 teams in the Big XII are south teams.
  • image txbabs111:
    What I want to know is why it's necessary to sent a craptastic North division team when its obvious that the top 2 teams in the Big XII are south teams.

Seriously.  Then it'd be a UT-OU playoff just about every year...and you knowfuckingwhat....that's how it should be.  Top two teams go.  Screw this north south crap.  But in the meantime....

Go TIGERS!!!!!   RAWR!!!   :-)

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
  • Doesn't it seem that OUsucks always benefits from the BCS?  Didn't they go to the championship over Auburn that year that Auburn was totally screwed?? 

I'm a Mizzou fan now though... kick OU arse!

Married October 28, 2006, TTC since March 2009 IUI #1-8 w/ clomid = BFN
    IVF # 1 May, 2011 = BFP!!! Stillbirth at 26 weeks (placental failure/severe IUGR)
    FET #1 February, 2012-- BFP! Beta #1=84 Beta #2= 207 Beta #3= 3,526 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Our Rainbow Baby is on the Way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Actually, for non-UT fans it usually seems that UT benefits far more from the BCS than most teams.  That's mostly because Mack Brown is a major whiner though....

If you take emotions out of it, it seems clear (to me at least) that OU is the logical choice to go to the Big 12 Championship game.

Running off to hide....Devil

• Anyone that has been following college football knows that the BCS is a screwed up system. There needs to be a better way to determine a 3 way tie because the current systems allows for too much subjectivity.

And I'm not just saying this because I'm a UT alum and a huge Texas football fan!! :)

• In my opinion, all 3 coaches should have been standing up for their teams and believing that they were the best team to represent the Big XII South. There's nothing wrong with telling everyone why you think your team is the most deserving. I don't see how that constitutes "whining". Bottom line is, they all had the same claim to the Title and OU came out on top this time. It may be clear to you that OU is the logical choice, but Ivan Maisel doesn't agree (and neither did the AP voters). And, not to be catty, but it doesn't seem like you're leaving emotions out of the situation either, they're just differing emotions.

"This episode does the sport no favors. It makes college football look as if its search for logic entered a traffic rotary and can't find an exit. There isn't a dime's worth of difference between Texas and Oklahoma. Both played well throughout the season. Both finished strong. Both lost to very good teams. The Sooners lost to the Longhorns and won a loophole.

That's because, in the end, the blame for this mess lies at the feet not of the BCS but of the Big 12. The Big 12 tiebreaker states that in the event of a three-way tie in which all other tiebreakers have been exhausted, the team rated highest in the BCS will be the division champion.

The Southeastern Conference tiebreaker says that in the event of a three-way tie, the team that is rated the highest will be the division champion unless the second-highest team is within five places in the BCS standings. Then it reverts to head-to-head competition. You can bet emphasis is added. And you can bet that the Big 12 will revisit this rule after the season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=3735638

• Oh I know.  I was SO hoping Baylor would beat tech so then they would be going, but Baylor lost by 7.  dammit.
  • image julesup:

Actually, for non-UT fans it usually seems that UT benefits far more from the BCS than most teams.  That's mostly because Mack Brown is a major whiner though....

If you take emotions out of it, it seems clear (to me at least) that OU is the logical choice to go to the Big 12 Championship game.

Running off to hide....Devil

I know it might seem like this is just a flame for having a dissenting opinion in a pro UT town,  but honestly can you tell me when this has actually happened?

Texas has gone to 2 BCS games in the last 10 years.  

1) Rose bowl 2004 season, where we did lobby and got to go instead of Cal who then got detroyed by Tx Tech in the Holiday bowl, who Texas destroyed that year.  Clearly in retrospect the correct team went.  We also won that Rose bowl against Michigan

2) Rose bowl 2005 season,  2 undefeated teams went to the National championship game.  There was 0 contraversy

I think you might be thinking of Nebraska(who went to a national championship game after not even winning the north) or OU(who screwed a 1 loss TX team out of  BCS game a few years ago by losing the Big12 champ game and still going to the national champ game).

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is DH speaking and totally not me:
    As an impartial bystander, you really can't argue against OU playing over TX.  Yes, TX beat them. But losing to TTU, resulting in a 3 way tie, in essence voids the win over OU.  Since that is TX's ONLY argument, what else qualifies them to go over OU?  OU played a better non-conference schedule.  They beat Cincinatti, the champion of another BCS conference.  They beat TCU, who's another top 25 team and their only other loss was to Utah(ranked 6 in BCS).   They played Washington, who was a good team before Jake Locker got hurt, evidenced by their almost beating BYU.  TX played FAU, UTEP, ARK, and Rice.  Rice being the best out of those 4 teams (that is almost funny to say).  OU is also the ONLY team out of the Big XII south foursome (UT, OU, TTU, OKState) to beat one of the other 3 on the road.  Now let's look at common opponents.  Both TX and OU played OKstate, TXAM, Baylor, TTU and Kansas.  OU's combined score in those 5 games was 282-136, TX's was 194-100.  OU scored 88 more points than TX and gave up 36 more points, resulting in a 52 point differential more than TX.

After all that, it appears that the BCS got it right this time.  If you want to be mad at somebody, don't get mad at the BCS get mad at the Big XII.  They are the ones with the stupid tie breaker rule and the ones with the anonymous coach's vote.  Or, just blame it on Gideon.  What would have been if only he would have held on to that pick.

And bless you for listening to DH's ramblings!  Smile

[My Domestic Addiction]

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter
  • And this is why it comes down to what is termed "class" or lack there of.  Mack Brown refuses to run up the score on teams, unlike, ahem OU.  He calls off the dogs when we're up with a comfortable lead.

You could argue that we held our opponents to 100 points--less than OU's 136...potentially implying that Texas has a better defense, therefore holding their opponents a lot stronger than OU.  If anyone watched the TX-OU game that fact is glaringly obvious.

OU has had GARBAGE touchdowns scored in the last minutes of games (ie 25 seconds left of the OU/OSU game), whereas Mack doesn't do that.  He "tried" against A&M to run up the score, but our first string was out pretty much the entire 4th quarter.  I like the fact that Mack has class or what have you, but the other teams we're up against don't and get rewarded for their lack of class (if you use the scoring argument) and Texas gets bypassed.

• image txbabs111:
    What I want to know is why it's necessary to sent a craptastic North division team when its obvious that the top 2 teams in the Big XII are south teams.

I totally agree. I think it is ridiculous that Mizzou gets to play.  I so wanted Tech to beat OU - but since we didn't, I am all for UT.  It is ridiculous that Mizzou gets to be in the championship game. It should be a Big 12 championship - not a North vs. South championship.  Simpy ridiculous.

• image Abrooks:

image txbabs111:

I totally agree. I think it is ridiculous that Mizzou gets to play.  I so wanted Tech to beat OU - but since we didn't, I am all for UT.  It is ridiculous that Mizzou gets to be in the championship game. It should be a Big 12 championship - not a North vs. South championship.  Simpy ridiculous.

The problem with this is that it's set up so all the north teams play each other for that spot, and all the south teams play each other for the other spot.  If it wasn't for the north/south split, none of the Big 12 teams would get to play anyone other than conference, which would negatively affect strength of schedule, and therefore rankings.

• I completely agree about Stoops the Scumbag running up the score. I find it hard to believe that you can score 60 points in 4 straight games "within the offense".  That last touchdown against OKState was total crap.  25 seconds on the clock...really?  Take a friekin knee.  This you can blame on the BCS, and the voters.  Sometimes I think they just look at the scoreboard and don't watch the games.  They don't see how (and when) some of the points are scored.
    [My Domestic Addiction]

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter
  • image MrsNole:

This is DH speaking and totally not me:
    As an impartial bystander, you really can't argue against OU playing over TX.  Yes, TX beat them. But losing to TTU, resulting in a 3 way tie, in essence voids the win over OU.  Since that is TX's ONLY argument, what else qualifies them to go over OU?  OU played a better non-conference schedule.  They beat Cincinatti, the champion of another BCS conference.  They beat TCU, who's another top 25 team and their only other loss was to Utah(ranked 6 in BCS).   They played Washington, who was a good team before Jake Locker got hurt, evidenced by their almost beating BYU.  TX played FAU, UTEP, ARK, and Rice.  Rice being the best out of those 4 teams (that is almost funny to say).  OU is also the ONLY team out of the Big XII south foursome (UT, OU, TTU, OKState) to beat one of the other 3 on the road.  Now let's look at common opponents.  Both TX and OU played OKstate, TXAM, Baylor, TTU and Kansas.  OU's combined score in those 5 games was 282-136, TX's was 194-100.  OU scored 88 more points than TX and gave up 36 more points, resulting in a 52 point differential more than TX.

After all that, it appears that the BCS got it right this time.  If you want to be mad at somebody, don't get mad at the BCS get mad at the Big XII.  They are the ones with the stupid tie breaker rule and the ones with the anonymous coach's vote.  Or, just blame it on Gideon.  What would have been if only he would have held on to that pick.

And bless you for listening to DH's ramblings!  Smile

I have to agree with your DH on this one!

• i totally agree with everyone here about the ou/ut thing - i just wanted to say that i am so giddy that tcu is #11. seriously, i didnt see that coming, so i am super excited about that! (the top 3 thing does suck though)
    B&W Photo by Wildhouse Photography

• I don't understand why the coaches have their own poll that gets to mean something.  99% of the time, they are busy coaching their own games and don't even get to watch the other games.

It's come out that Mike Leach voted OU #1 and Tech #2...even though Tech almost lost to Baylor.  Hmmm....

Regarding the north-south argument....you could still structure the regular season the same way as it currently is.  It could work....I would think that would give the north an advantage STILL because historically they are the weaker half.  the dominant north team could still stumble up in to the one or two spot in the entire conference, its the south teams that end up beating up on each other. 

At the times we played OU, Missouri, and OSU, they were in the top ten, if I'm not mistaken.  Who cares then if you play/beat teams in the top 25, aren't teams in the top 10 of those 25 arguably better??

What I don't understand is how USC plays in the weakest conference year after year AND plays Notre Dame in a non-conf game and still makes it in the big bowls?!?!?!?!!!!!! 

And PS, the title of my OP didn't blast the BCS, originally it did blast the Big XII.  Wink

• image Jennifer*L*923:

What I don't understand is how USC plays in the weakest conference year after year AND plays Notre Dame in a non-conf game and still makes it in the big bowls?!?!?!?!!!!!! 

I agree 100% on this one! I wish people would just jump off of that wagon!!!!! I can't stand USC EVERYONE loves them, it makes me sick!!!!

• image Jennifer*L*923:

And PS, the title of my OP didn't blast the BCS, originally it did blast the Big XII.  Wink

And yes, then I did get mad at the BCS because well, it all snowballs and at this point, you can't hate Big XII conference rules without hating the BCS too!  Wink